J. C. Penney

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

Transition employment

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Nashua, NH
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Nashua, NH

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the most of the people. Overall management was flexible and family friendly. If you worked hard you were able to work as much as possible. I did learn some marketing and retail concepts. Most employees did share product knowledge in order to service customers. Some employees were great team players at the JCP I worked at.

Cons

Sometimes management didn't seem to care or do much about employees who didn't perform their jobs. On many occasions the same people just wandered around doing everything they could not to work. Other associates had to work harder and longer to accommodate the stores need for recovery and stocking. I worked there for nearly a year and never got a review or a raise. Many associates who worked there for many years rarely were compensated for their hard work while lazy associates didn't show up or call and where able to do that over and over before terminated. Or just performed poorly overall. Recently I had heard from a friend that an associate was let go after stealing. This person was demanding and was given what was seen as preferential treatment. Others had been let go for far less serious issues, like family emergencies. I worked many shifts covering for slackers and worked harder and longer to close while these associates where not reprimanded or let go.

I had spoken with other people who worked retail and told me that working good employees to cover for others, few raises and horrible hours were common. Instead of having some employees walking around boasting about how they don't work weekends....and having others work constant weekends with no raises or benefits creates low moral. I understand micromanaging the poor employees is hard, but sometimes it would be good to take a look at how much others have to work to compensate for hung over lazy underachievers who get paid the same as someone killing themselves for JCP.

2281 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

Good job for high school students

I have been working at J. C. Penney

Pros

easy work that keeps you busy.

Cons

Low pay and low hours

Typical retail

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed working with the other sales associates. I feel like it could be a great company to work for once you're out of the retail aspect of it. It just feels like you're in high school.

Cons

"Support Specialist" is another word for you are on the sales floor selling products to customers. Also the pay and hours aren't much at least get some more hours. Now I know why a lot of associates have two or more jobs.

Better communication with each other and associates. You guys say two different things and it just looks bad on managements part.

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney