There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

Just...okay

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Huntsville, AL
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Huntsville, AL

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy job. Very low-key environment since most stores were closing during my time working there. Not a lot of people shopped there due to change in company leadership and the whole "coupon fiasco". So generally a pretty easy job. There were credit goals, but no penalty for not reaching them. So need to worry.

Cons

Compensation was a little low to me. We didn't really get raises. Unless you were a top performer. You could be a horrible/lazy employee, but as long as you were getting customers to sign up for credit cards nothing else matters. So the employees that did all of the work as far as maintaining the store were pretty much invisible.

Find ways to reward hard-workers, even if they don't FORCE customers to get credit cards.

2063 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

Enjoyable

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Westminster, CO

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've enjoyed my time at J.C.Penney, although it's more the people I work with then the company. At the store I work with it's like a big family. Vibe and management is slowly improving. Good for a part-time job while in school, is not good for a career.

Cons

Pay is low, barely above minimum wage. Raises haven't happened in over three years and when they did they were only 5-20 cent raises. Customers become meaner the closer you get to holidays, and Managers can be two-faced. You will NOT be able to support your self with only this job, you will need at least one of two more part-time jobs or a full-time job to go along with it. Hours can be great one week, and then next have hardly any.

My overall experience was positive. Most of the managers were very nice and helpful and all co-workers team players.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Douglasville, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Douglasville, GA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discounts were good. Extra hours were available during the holidays. Additional training and opportunity for advancement. It was also very close to home for me.

Cons

The pay was not very good. Sometimes very early or very late working hours were required. When the store was not busy there was not much for us employees to do.

Some store managers need to work on listening skills.

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!