J Craig Venter Institute
www.jcvi.org Rockville, MD 150 to 499 Employees

Great place to gain research experience.

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Rockville, MD

ProsGreat research environment, and, when I was there most of the people were friendly and helpful. If you work on a project that's funded or is a a pet project of the CEO, then there are a lot of opportunities to be exposed to cutting edge science and research.

ConsThere is almost no mentoring support. If you are not lucky enough to have a supervisor/manager that's knowledgeable, capable, and interested in your development, you'll be miserable and you will be treated as though you're an anonymous worker on an assembly line.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan do a better jobs with mentoring and rewarding good managers. Also, it would be great if the institute were run like real research lab or academic institution instead of a corporate center or manufacturing floor.

Work here when you are close to retirement and are NOT looking for career growth

Bioinformatics Analyst II (Former Employee)

I worked at J Craig Venter Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Environment is too relaxed, but that is because of the… Cons: No growth, bad pays, terrible complacency. It feels dead working… Advice to Senior Management: If NOT wasting tax-payer dollars means consolidating this branch with the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Sinking Ship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at J Craig Venter Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great people who care about each other. Good work/life balance. Cons: Company is struggling and soon will be moving to California. They are not telling Rockville employees… Advice to Senior Management: Their is no management. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on J Craig Venter Institute.

Worked for J Craig Venter Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J Craig Venter Institute reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J Craig Venter Institute CEO J Craig Venter. All reviews posted anonymously by J Craig Venter Institute employees.