J. Crew

There are newer employer reviews for J. Crew

Very nice people

Current Employee - Stock Associate
Current Employee - Stock Associate

I have been working at J. Crew full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management rewards hard workers, and appreciates them.
Raises are based on performance, so work hard and get more money.

Cons

The only way to move up in the company is to become a keyholder and go from there, which even still, you are stuck in a keyholder position for years before being able to make any growth in the company,
Corporate is always coming up with something crazy for employees.
Corporate has unrealistic expectations of how the stores are to be run because none of them have ever worked in a store.

Train people right, from the beginning and they'll be no problems.

665 Other Employee Reviews for J. Crew (View Most Recent)

Not many hours, on-call shifts...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Environment, all about the customer, friendly co-workers

Cons

Low hours, not-so-great management, ON-CALL shifts, schedule, low commission

Instead of the employee having to call in two hours before their shift to see if they need you, they should call you. My store is small, I must admit, but a 4 hour week with 1 associate working with a manager is really tough and lack-of-motivation inspiring. Yeah, sales will look good on the individual- but the store won't look nice because you're too busy selling hence the low amount of employees working.

The managers and co-workers are really nice. I have a pleasure working with everyone. Although there are still people I've barely worked with and I've been with the company for 10 months.

Also, my store has gone through 5 managers the past 8 months. It's been hectic.

There should be away to obtain your work schedule online instead of having to go into the store to get it. They won't even give it to you over phone unless it's completely necessary.

Discount is nice, but I never get to use it because I don't make enough money from the job to be able to spend it on.

I did get a raise, which was nice. It was low, but it's the thought that counts.

If you want to work here, do not depend on this to be your only job. You'll be grateful if you get a 10 hour week.

Overall a wonderful experience but with a bitter ending.

Former Employee - Keyholder Manager
    Former Employee - Keyholder Manager

I worked at J. Crew full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing employee discount, enjoyable store atmosphere, the best client base.

Cons

Too much micromanaging from the corporate level. Too many directives and not enough freedom for managers to do what they feel is right for their store. Little incentives: taking away commissioned sales.

Manage according to the needs of your store. Cities with low salary demographics require extra efforts such as elevated customer service as opposed to cities where J.Crew is so well known that it sells itself. I find it absurd that my store director would prefer that I fold clothes over assisting customers, but she did.

There are newer employer reviews for J. Crew