There are newer employer reviews for J. Jill Group

An unexciting outdated place to work

I worked at J. Jill Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work load is mamageable. Competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

Poorly designed product with zero fashion sense. Leadership not interested in and do not value their people. Culture is toxic. Emplyee turnover was very high and leadership turned a blind eye to it.This company lost it's identity years ago and continues to flounder -if the company closed it's stores it would not make a ripple in the retail world.

Advice to Management

People work for people. Treat your emplyees with respect. Dig in to the root cause for high turnover. It's right there.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Straightforward, average work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Stamford, CT

I worked at J. Jill Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is friendly, and the company brand is evident in almost every aspect of the store. It's not stressful at all.

Cons

As with most retail jobs, a consistent schedule isn't always guaranteed.
    Also, if you're not into the merchandise they offer, the sales incentives won't interest you.

Overall positive, but there are issues in the past yr particularly

Current Employee - Call Center Associate in Tilton, NH
    Current Employee - Call Center Associate in Tilton, NH

I have been working at J. Jill Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've seen the company start to turn around with MUCH better product in the past 6 months, sales are up. I really enjoy the people I work with and have had a usually positive rapport with immediate management. The mgmnt on the ground at Tilton tries to keep morale up with contests, potlucks, etc which are often employee driven- however this doesn't happen as much as when I first came on board. For this area I feel it's one of the better jobs available. The facility is very nice, with a little gym available, and a very good outsourced cafeteria. The discount for employees is fabulous, as are the product. We are VERY WELL trained.

Cons

The hours are strange, not well planned, we are flexed down constantly and then xtra hours signups are posted. We are constantly understaffed and our customers have to wait on hold for too long. As earlier posted, we have a very short lead time to know our schedule and that makes personal life very hard, very few of us have the same days off. The hours seem to be computer-set so we come in and leave at very odd times- the constantly changing schedule is VERY stressful. Getting time off, as stated earlier, for family events or emergencies is very difficult. Mgmnt seems to be penny saving by turning off lights and leaving the bldg very cold on weekends which is an unwelcoming atmosphere for night and weekend staff. Poor communication from upper mgmnt, and the pay is very poor even for this area- as stated earlier, even with bonuses many employees are eligible for public assistance- the company should be ashamed! Seasonal employees are hired while permanent emplyoyees are given less hours- it creates resentment. New credit card contract places unreal demands on employees to push the J Jill credit card, with constant annoying contests to try to stimulate the card, it annoys the employees, makes us feel we aren't producing.

Advice to Management

Value the excellent training you give your employees and UTILIZE IT! Standardize schedules, it's really affecting morale. If you want to sell the credit card, give an incentive that customers really want like free shipping. Give long term well trained employees fuller hours instead of hiring well meaning but inexperienced people temporarily.