J.P. Morgan

Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for J.P. Morgan

Horrible heartless company

I worked at J.P. Morgan

Pros

There's nothing positive to tell

Cons

Greedy, heartless, moronic managers, favortism

Ditch all managers in SA and start from scratch

4889 Other Employee Reviews for J.P. Morgan (View Most Recent)

Be very careful about the position you are offered. If you have multiple opportunites, strongly consider others.

Former Employee - Information Analyst in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Information Analyst in Irving, TX

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Name brand company with Ivy league status (not too sure how helpful that is)
    Relatively low likelihood of getting laid off
    Good chances to move around in company although mostly lateral with no salary increase
    Many locations to work from
    You can make many long lasting professional relationships

Cons

MAJOR issues with compensation planning and salary increases for promoted employees
    Unimaginable levels of red tape that hinder nearly everyone from being even 80% productive
    Total 'cover your ass' culture that is highly reactionary in day to day operations
    Really cold East Coast corporate culture that lacks any meaningful sense of humanity
    Severely short-staffed in most departments

To anyone looking at Chase for a job: Please strongly consider working elsewhere. If you receive an offer and have the luxury to compare against other companies, you must research the best you can on who you will be working for and the projects you will be involved in. This company is so big with so many regulations and controls that you are very likely to experience a high degree of job dissatisfaction. For most people, there are about 10 to 12 levels of management above them. This unusually top heavy hierarchy causes huge communication gaps between senior leaders and ground level employees. My experience is limited to a group in the mortgage space at the Irving (Ridge point) location. The benefits are standard faire compared to other companies but the real issue is compensation. Time and time again I saw wonderful employees accept promotions only to not get compensated for an average of six months to a year and in many cases, they never saw what was promised to them. It’s truly sickening to witness this in such a large and prominent company like Chase. Nearly all talent gets fed up with this and leaves. To be fair, there are some amazing managers that do make differences but they are rare. Low performers are commonplace and never seem to get fired or held accountable for their poor performance/actions. Chase culture is highly reactionary in everything they do. A negative story hit the newsstands and all hell breaks loose internally with no plan or direction. The company literally lives day to day with no sound technologies in place to protect itself. The servicing systems are extremely outdated and very few people understand them. I often heard the phrase, “It’s amazing this place makes money given all the system problems”. This cycle just keeps going and going. There is a ton of money pumped into the PR department so that “reputational risk” is minimized at all times. I have to say, the PR department has built an effective Chase image and facade that keeps other bigger issues well hidden from public view. If the public knew about some of the day to day issues, Chase would be in big trouble. I’m very serious in saying that. This place is a true house of cards. Work life balance is horrible in all of the IT and MIS groups in Mortgage Banking. I’d say the average time worked by most good employees is well over 60 hours per week. Most managers even expect you to work long hours because everyone is so short staffed with no reprieve in sight. I heard for two years, “we should all step up during these challenging times” but yet we were recording stronger profits quarter after quarter. Trust me when I tell you that this is a VERY hard company to work for if you are an IT or MIS person. If you need to have a sense of accomplishment at your job, this is not the company for you. There are so many other companies that have better values and know how to maintain an effective workforce. Just please do your research and be informed by talking to whoever you can before you trap yourself. Best wishes and good luck!

All about the numbers.

Former Employee - Technology Support in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technology Support in Houston, TX

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on department or Line of Business that the employee is working in.

-Pay seems to be pretty good compared to a lot of companies nowadays.
    -Chance to get bonuses depending on performance.
    -Benefits of bank holidays and others with company discounts.

Cons

-Seemed to be more about the numbers game, instead of actually helping people to the fullest extent.
    -Certain jobs outsourced.

-Pay attention to what the employees during the year, their ethics, not just by what they documented about their work. Do not base performance by just numbers or what other supervisors have told you, gather your own analysis.

There are newer employer reviews for J.P. Morgan