J.P. Morgan
3.4 of 5 3,568 reviews
www.jpmorgan.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Overall Great Place to Work

Risk Manager (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros-Amazing and motivating senior leaders.
-Smartest and most strategic leadership at the senior levels.
-Relatively generous benefit packages including pension, 5% 1:1 401k matches, annual 401k awards for certain salaries below limits, health care (while model changed to consumer driven two years ago it is still a good program), dental, eye and ability to earn free funds to ward healthcare each year by offering health incentives.
-Great corporate citizens in local communities.
-Innovative in new technologies.
-Stable firm.

Cons-Treatment of internal promotions is horrendous in regard to corresponding compensation. In almost a decade at Chase I have been promoted 5 times and a now in/above middle management and am severely
-More mangers than not lack the values that are demanded and exhibited by our senior leaders, which leads to pockets all over the firm of weak and lacking leadership. Seems the further down you get the worse it is. There are some GREAT managers and leaders, but harder to find.
-Too many leaders at lower levels go with the status quo.
-Too many leaders at lower levels do not stand up for their staff or what is RIGHT. Instead they elect to merely do what their manager says without fighting for what is right for their staff. Leadership courage is very rare at middle management.

Advice to Senior Management-Continue the best in class strategic planning that has made us successful.
-Continue our focus on developing excellent leaders.
-Continue instilling customer experience in every decision we make.
-Continue developing talent at all levels for future success.

-We are losing too many talented and high potential employees at every level of the organization due to the following. This is based on what has happened to me personally, as well as what I have observed occurring to others, at all levels.

-Compensate deserving internal promotions (especially Exceeds and High Meets) AT THE TIME OF THE PROMOTION the actual salary you'd pay an external hire. The pay disparity between the rare internal increase approvals and external offers are offensive, kill morale, and cause us to lose top talent. In 8/10 cases your internal hire (Es and M+s) is going to have earned the external salary given his knowledge of our firm or specific expertise so it defies logic as to why we insist, in most cases, to compensate internal and external so differently. I love our company, have been relatively taken care of but am now at a point after several promotions where I am now almost forced to leave to be compensated accordingly. The more I am promoted the greater the disparity is growing.
-Understand that promotions and merit increases for performance are two separate and distinct events. There are a very small amount of managers that see it this way and will fight for you to get it approved, and they do, but the vast majority believe if you're lucky enough to get an increase for a promotion, that it eliminates your ability to earn an end of year performance increase. The lack of managers standing up and fighting for what is right in regard to compensation is mind boggling to me because having managed several hundred people myself, compensation approvals are based on the manager making a solid case for the employee having EARNED the compensation. In almost a decade I never had an increase denied after making a solid case, yet most mangers throw up their hands and act as though they are powerless. Very frustrating to those that have done compensation planning in previous roles. Too many weak managers.

Inspiring, yet pragmatic

CADP (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time for less than a year

Pros: Good pay, great atmosphere, people are eager to help. Cons: Political, long hours, fought to break into other roles Advice to Senior Management: Promote mobility within the company Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

They definitely work hard

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time for more than a year

Pros: They let you work with big clients in an environment that is condusive to that… Cons: There is not a lot of freedom and the hours are long There is not a lot of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on J.P. Morgan.

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!

J.P. Morgan – Why Work for Us?

J.P. Morgan has been doing first-class business in a first-class way for more than 200 years. We have been a leading player in helping companies grow and markets develop throughout our history. We work in collaboration… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.P. Morgan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J.P. Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon. All reviews posted anonymously by J.P. Morgan employees.