There are newer employer reviews for J Sainsbury

1 000 000 Reasons to not join sainsburys in any way.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chipping Ongar, England (UK)
Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chipping Ongar, England (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury

Pros

There are not many good reasons for working in sainsburys apart from the fact that its easy to get a job in there even people like david beckham would get a job at the snap of two fingers. The other reason why it is kinda reasonable is because if you work on the deli you can eat as much as you want, your not suppose to, but what the hell who cares if sainsburys losed 50p evertime you eat a slice of ham. Oh and maybe one more thing everyone that you work with in their hates the whole management tier.

Cons

When you actually get given a discount card its 10%, oh wait that aint that good. Every manager is stuck up their own arse, except the normal department managers and sometimes even they act as though their god.

Advice to Management

I would advise managment to not talk to their employees like they are dogs and to get their head out of their arse otherwise one day they may have a brown face when they come up against someone that isnt going to let themselves be spoken down to.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. favouritism leads the way

Current Employee - Administrative - Price Controller in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrative - Price Controller in London, England (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury

Pros

If you get in with the right group you can work your way around the departments quite easily. Being on checkouts it is quite easy to avoid serving customers if you are pally with the supervisor, instead being put to do left behinds - walking around the store for however long you decide to take, or baskets/trolleys.
    Having an office job is another way of saying you're lazy. Most office workers spend a lot of time sat at their desk getting the bare minimum done and delegating to others on their department.

Cons

The managers seem incapable of encouraging the members of staff, HR treats staff with contempt. If you go to them too often with queries or complaints they will do very little to help you and during a recent reshuffle of hours they acted with favouritism when it came to being forced to do unfavourable hours over favourable ones. Career opportunities are unfairly given out with the same favoured few being tossed from department to department when they get bored of whichever role they are playing at this week.

Advice to Management

The senior management need to actively try to motivate the people at store level who are the face of the company they are trying to change. They give us all these targets we should be meeting but instead of motivating us they are telling us it's the way things are. If they want the company to improve they have to have better delegation down the line

2. Sainsbury's no worse than any other retail group

Current Employee - Department Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury

Pros

Good progression for career, company is more interested in your experience than what qualifications you have. Always improving and wanting to succeed even more so through the bad times.

Cons

Work life balance is very poor. Work over your hours on a daily basis. Shift times change on a weekly basis, sometimes daily, unable to plan anything outside of work, unless booking as holiday.

Advice to Management

Remember that we can't do impossable. We all want to succeed, but allow us to be able to interact with customers and colleagues, without feeling that we havn't got the time.