Sainsburys Staff

Current Employee - Grocery Assistant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
Current Employee - Grocery Assistant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury

Pros

10 % Discount on shopping, 15% at peak times of year eg. Christmas, Easter etc. No problems arranging time off. Paid holidays, which increase when you do more over time Excellent staff facilities, pool table, canteen etc Excellent staff parties

Cons

Working weekends Managers who think they're better than you at times Boring routine at times Plenty of training, good and bad i suppose

Advice to Management

Don't make such a big gap between employees and duty managers. Store managers definetely shouldn't get the money their on and especially bonuses. Iv worked under 5, and all but 1 does nothing!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Okay place for a student, but dead end for anyone else!

Former Employee - Counter Assistant in Newport, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury

Pros

Good job while you're studying you're A-levels. Makes you realise the value in going to University and getting a decent job!

Cons

Very boring and monotanous. Customers treat you like you are dirt even though they know nothing about you! Little or no respect from managers. But who can blame them, eh?

Advice to Management

To be honest you do a good job for the most part; just make sure managers treat people as individuals and bother to get to know new staff.

2. If you have to work in a supermarket, you could do a lot worse

Former Employee - General Assistant (Shelf Stacker), Fresh Foods
    Former Employee - General Assistant (Shelf Stacker), Fresh Foods

I worked at J Sainsbury

Pros

The trouble with reviewing retail firms is that it's impossible to say whether my experience is representative of other stores. Nonetheless, I was fairly impressed by the senior colleagues at the store I worked at though - they got things done with the minimum of slave driving, and treated you as a person. Not a lot to ask for I guess, but probably shouldn't be taken for granted in this sector. Sainsburys does seem to be genuinely trying to invest in the development of shop floor colleagues - via both promotion and job rotation. While I wouldn't expect to go from checkout to boardroom, competent (and inevitably incompetent) staff who stick around seem to get promoted, eventually. Don't get me wrong - it's still a dead end job, but by the standards of retail Sainsburys isn't probably a bad place to be a till monkey. Benefits (paid holidays, discount, pension, ect) seem pretty good - if your plan to to supermarket work for the long haul, god help you then Sainsburys probably isn't a bad place to be.

Cons

Pay, obviously: though £6.44/hour basic [that's with London weighting] is pretty average for retail work. Your bonus for hitting sales/mystery customer targets is a mere 1% though. Compare that to 15% at a Tesco I worked at a few years back (again, not sure how representative these figures are for other stores). As you can probably guess, the work ranges from bearable to soul-destroying. Obviously a lot depends on your actual role, colleagues, and temperament, but there's no getting away from the fact that shelf stacking/till work is about as menial as it gets. if you can hack doing the same thing every day with very little development or variety then you'll be fine. A small minority of customers seem to get kicks from talking down to you. Again, probably par for the course for retail.

Advice to Management

Stop messing about giving 1% bonuses to shop floor colleagues. Up it to double digits, or just don't bother. Other than that JS seems to be in a good place at the moment. Keep up the good work, and don't take your eye off the ball.