Hire and Fire

Current Employee - Staff Software Developer
Current Employee - Staff Software Developer

Pros

Flexibility like working from home (in fact, too much that some people abuses it).

Cons

Our team was working so hard to meet the project goals, and suddenly, out of nowhere, the higher management told us that the whole team is redundant. And this is coming from an employee who was head-hunted over barely a year ago. Why a sudden change in plan? If they intend to make this team redundant, why hire us in the first place ? And I'm not the worst guy who suffered this; there was another team member of mine who just joined for about 1 month. Imagine how that guy felt ? Don't have a decent plan or product road map ? The software quality and usablity of the product I worked on is a joke. There is no code review, no test traceability to requirements, and lack of high level requirements themselves. In short, the developer himself have to determine what the requirements are, how easy to install, to configure, etc,etc. A lot depends on the developer. If the developer is dishonest and claim all the unit test have passed, nobody is going to check them. The same applies to subsystem test team. If they claim all the tests have been executed and passed, there isn't anyone to check whether it's true. There is no software quality engineer that will perform gate-checking or whatsoever. This organization is probably worse than CMMI Level 1.

Advice to Management

Please don't hire and fire. If you intend to hire, make sure your plan for that team is valid for at least couple of years.

Other Employee Reviews for JDSU

1. Good place to work

Pros

While i was there The people i worked with were good players. Good career growth opportunity. High visibility to management

Cons

As a result of many acquisitions can be chaotic at times. Lots of fires to put out disrupts routine business matters

Advice to Management

Get organized and focus on fewer core competencies. Allign compensation with achievement. Drive for continuos improvement. Empower employees across the co

2. JDSU is a very exciting place to work, and Management is very focused on employee engagement.

Pros

The business is growing rapidly and proliferating. As a technology leader, JDSU values the importance of innovation. Innovation is a priority and management is committed and invested in being the best. Management also has a high degree of focus on employee engagement and growth. Career development and leadership training are a priority.

Cons

The business units at JDSU work very hard. You are judged on what you deliver, not effort. There is not much room for failure.

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow as a company, we need to continue to focus on employee engagement. Career development and leadership training is integral to our success.