JDSU

I wouldn't recommend it.

Former Employee - Engineer in Louisville, CO
Former Employee - Engineer in Louisville, CO

I worked at JDSU

Pros

Shortly after acquiring our company, JDSU was quite diligent in making sure that we had sufficient training to use their tools and software.

Cons

Our local site management was good. Unfortunately, the direction and leadership that we received from the corporate office were very bad. I had the impression that the corporate office didn't see us as anything other than a cost center and they handled us poorly at that. Costly decisions were mandated from corporate that were extremely wasteful and seemed to be doomed to failure. Inputs from our local leaders to improve a process or minimize risk seemed to just bounce off corporate.

Spend more time visiting the remote sites and have a real clear idea of what is happening there prior to making decisions that will implact or require the buy-in from these sites.

187 Other Employee Reviews for JDSU (View Most Recent)

Good place to work but has been going down hill

I worked at JDSU

Pros

Good senior management although a lot of great leaders left back in 2001. Great working atmosphere yet quality work can be accomplished.

Cons

Needless to say the business has not been steady and future is still unknown. This is may be out of control of management at JDS, although sales function seems to be weak in knowing what is happning.

Work on developing a better relationship with existing customers and look for a chances to branch out into other fields.

Clueless management, Chinese culture

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at JDSU

Pros

Leading-edge III-V laser, photodetector manufacturer
    Have some of the best components designers in the biz

Cons

JDSU is a manufacturing company (telecom components) but is run by executives from the software industry. Software people tend to have no clue as to what it takes to 'make stuff'. Thus, they have invested the last 8 years trying to figure out how to export all mfg to China.

There is an incredible amount of talent at JDSU, although the mgmt does not deserve the talent they've got

Put some qualified, effective Ops people in charge of the company--not ex-software industry (i.e., Cisco) types. This is not an outsourced business game, but high-tech mfg.

There are newer employer reviews for JDSU