There are newer employer reviews for JDSU

Improving focus and financial performance

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

Some very talented people, a lot of great technology. Current senior managment seems to be making progress. Good opportunties in the test and measurement portion of the business. Company seems to have survived the recession and has been doing better financially. Important because it stopped 401K contribution, raises and bonuses. Stock price has really taken off this year, so maybe market is also viewing JDS Uniphase prospects favorably.

Cons

Too focused on acquisitions, which it does not do well, instead of internal development. Many of these companies seem to do poorly after the acquisistion. Exception has been the Acterna acquistion. Company is fragmented and Corporate seems to focus on only one part of the business. It had been the fiber optic business. Now the focus seems to be entirely on the test and measurement business.

Unify the company or break it up.

174 Other Employee Reviews for JDSU (View Most Recent)

I wouldn't recommend it.

Former Employee - Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Louisville, CO

I worked at JDSU

Pros

Shortly after acquiring our company, JDSU was quite diligent in making sure that we had sufficient training to use their tools and software.

Cons

Our local site management was good. Unfortunately, the direction and leadership that we received from the corporate office were very bad. I had the impression that the corporate office didn't see us as anything other than a cost center and they handled us poorly at that. Costly decisions were mandated from corporate that were extremely wasteful and seemed to be doomed to failure. Inputs from our local leaders to improve a process or minimize risk seemed to just bounce off corporate.

Spend more time visiting the remote sites and have a real clear idea of what is happening there prior to making decisions that will implact or require the buy-in from these sites.

Good place to work but has been going down hill

I worked at JDSU

Pros

Good senior management although a lot of great leaders left back in 2001. Great working atmosphere yet quality work can be accomplished.

Cons

Needless to say the business has not been steady and future is still unknown. This is may be out of control of management at JDS, although sales function seems to be weak in knowing what is happning.

Work on developing a better relationship with existing customers and look for a chances to branch out into other fields.

There are newer employer reviews for JDSU