JDSU

www.jdsu.com
There are newer employer reviews for JDSU

Not a good place for women

Former Employee - Finance in Milpitas, CA
Former Employee - Finance in Milpitas, CA

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has fairly good benefits, quite old HQ office in Milpitas. Good work / personal life balance, had chance to work from home when had to. If you negotiate upfront, salary is at par with market. On-site cafeteria, very small gym. Very nice colleagues, smart people you can learn from.

Cons

Good ol' boys club. Working in Corporate is highly political, women are promoted very rearly. Everything depends on the fact if you have an executive sponsorship - friendly VP who will put in a word for you, otherwise, you will die waiting for promotion.

Negotiate your salary upfront, salary raise is not happening there either. Merit happens once in a while. Bonuses promised, but after bonus calculation you get a small portion of what was promised to you. High attrition.

If you are an assertive smart woman with career aspirations, you are seen as threat to your male colleagues, given a hope for promotion and loaded with extra work (temporary as promised); however promotion never happens and temp assignments stay with you forever. Some senior managment is clearly lacking experience, you are expected to train them. Be aware of annual reviews: nitpicking and back stabbing is a norm.

Going to review meetings with executive management is seen as an opportunity to show that you are a part of the decision making, therefore is being coveted and reserved for directors and above only. Even if they can't explain details of your work due to lack of understanding.

Corporate vanity fair at it worst.

Clean up the house.

186 Other Employee Reviews for JDSU (View Most Recent)

JDSU is a rewarding and interesting place to work!

Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at JDSU full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company cares about employees and demonstrates this thru respectful management practices while pushing hard to compete in the marketplace. Management has done a good job in staying visible by communicating to the employee population on an ongoing basis thru the company website LightSource. When we showcase our products, we also showcase the people who make it all happen. The company takes employee feedback seriously and takes actions based on regular employee engagement surveys.

Cons

Change is constant since we conduct a lot of acquistitions. We have a bonus plan, but it need to pay out at 100% more often.

Keep striving to win. Stay the course.

It is a risky business if you join JDSU or if your company (business unit) is being bought by JDSU

Former Employee - Desktop Support Lead
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Lead

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are still hired and if they don't sell your business out.. then it is okay..They do give out quarterly bonus (which means you don't have to wait for a year before leaving a job)
    Also you are pretty much on your own... if you like remote management

Cons

Remote management is bad, since the company bought the business unit, I have 3 or 4 IT managers. All we did was talk on the phone to the manager. Basically, there is no interaction at all. Also, JDSU tends to like buy and sell. When it acquires business units, lay off follows, then if they find out your business unit does not make enough money, they will sell you out regardless... That means you are risking of losing your job if you join already acquired company by JDSU and/or work in the company that is about to be acquired by JDSU.

In addition, don't expect you can go to any training they offer. For the past few years I worked there, they were just "talking" about giving employees free training, sending out free classes, then the next day they said "using vouches"!, Even worse, after weeks of remote management meeting, they didn't even bother mentioning it. It is like trying to make you happy, and hold you there.. but never deliver the promise. Those are not close to the managers may not get anything but Talk !

Also, if they spend money, they don't really spend it wisely. Some people who are close to managers (i know politics) may benefit from it. Anyway, they tend to waste a lot money on travel expenses. They send employees out (all the way from head quarter) to other places to do the unnecessary task like to pack computers to ship back, and do migration. Sometimes they send them overseas. If they know how to manager, that amount of money could be saved by hiring consultants to do. Of course, as the chosen employee, you may like it, but I see it not practical at all!

Make up your mind when you acquire. People will get disappointed at you eventually if you can't make your acquired business stay!

There are newer employer reviews for JDSU