JDSU

www.jdsu.com
  www.jdsu.com
There are newer employer reviews for JDSU

JDSU is a very exciting place to work, and Management is very focused on employee engagement.

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

The business is growing rapidly and proliferating. As a technology leader, JDSU values the importance of innovation. Innovation is a priority and management is committed and invested in being the best. Management also has a high degree of focus on employee engagement and growth. Career development and leadership training are a priority.

Cons

The business units at JDSU work very hard. You are judged on what you deliver, not effort. There is not much room for failure.

As we continue to grow as a company, we need to continue to focus on employee engagement. Career development and leadership training is integral to our success.

181 Other Employee Reviews for JDSU (View Most Recent)

Hire and Fire - care less about people

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

For the CommTest portion of the business - There are some exciting products and efforts within the company, it represents nothing but opportunity, if only they wanted to improve. HOwever they sho no sign of that.

Cons

For CommTest:
    People are dispensable and completely not valued by management..
    NO communicaiton whatsoever.
    You will be let go with out any consideration, communicaiton or concern at all.

No future definition, no vision or direction.

Germantown MD is the center of the universe for CommTest.

My advice to anyone: DO NOT HIRE INTO COMMTEST JDSU.

Tom - haven't you noticed that since you brought on the new (very high priced!!) CommTest management team the business has gone into the crapoper, morale sucks and there is not any light at the end of the tunnel??

Doesn't this tell you something? Although I am sure they are full of reasons and excuses. Have you looked at thier past employers to see what if any sustainable system they left in place?

The entire feeling in CT now is one of distrust, everyone works in a CYA mode, and there is NO feedback, innovation, ideas sharing; just heads down and hope they don't notice you.
    Good luck with this one!

Company buys good products, squeezes the life out of them, and then moves onto the next product

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

- Even after all the layoffs this year there are still some great people (including myself) left in this company
    - JDSU is a good fit for people who like fast paced chaotic environments
    - Benefits are fair and comparable to other companies

Cons

- Extremely Top Heavy: I can't even name everyone that sits between myself and the CEO (At least 7 layers)
    - Promotions are next to impossible: After 8 years (5 since acquired by JDSU) I finally managed to get a 12% pay raise after committing to double my workload. However I was denied a title change which blows my mind. Titles cost nothing, but mean a lot.
    - JDSU laid off almost all of the US R&D and outsourced the jobs to India. After 3 years the India team has made no significant improvements and in a lot of ways the product is worse than when it left
    - Short Term Gains for Long Term losses: After 5 years there are only 8 out of 50 people left who came from the original company. We are at the tail end were no more R&D is being done and all that's left is to support existing customers until they shut us down. From my experience this is typical for JDSU acquisitions
    - Unintelligent Layoffs: We succeeded in our market because we were able to offer custom solutions. After blindly laying off key players we are no longer able to support existing commitments let alone grow which we are forecasted to do
    - Not enough communication between support/product teams and marketing/sales teams. There have been many ideas and missed opportunities from our support team that could have turned our business segment around, but there was no way to sell them

A BHAG is not supposed to be a financial goal - A BHAG is designed to make your company amazing like putting a Microsoft PC on every desk! Stop making short term decisions to save the stock price and start making long term investments that include US jobs with US ingenuity!

Your low level employees have great ideas and want to succeed. More focus needs to be made to allow them to help you create revenue or make the products better. There is so much red tape and closed communication lines that employees don't feel empowered to innovate.

There are newer employer reviews for JDSU