Jackson Laboratory
www.jax.org Bar Harbor, ME 1000 to 5000 Employees

JAX West is like waking up in a nightmare 5, 6, or sometimes 7 days of the week.

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA

ProsYou get the technical skills and experience you need quickly, through the daily demands of an insane work schedule, to attain a real career position at a real company.

ConsA regular work week is 10 hours/day M-F and then your weekend is coming in for 6 hours here, or 4 hours there depending on the demands from being short staffed. Work-life balance is non- existent. If you have plans outside of work supervisors will expect you to cancel them to stay late while they leave early. There is too much work for too little people in In Vivo and this is known by upper management yet ignored to meet the bottom line and accomplish their yearly bonus incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecrease the workload expected out of technicians to maintain a reasonable work week of 45-50hrs. Increase employee compensation and show appreciation for all that they accomplish for you on a daily basis. Finally, expect from your employees what you expect out of yourself; it's utterly ridiculous that technicians are required to put their lives on hold to stay late and come in on weekends while other members of the "team" are out the door or home already.

Great people doing good work at a beautiful, albeit expensive, location

(Current Employee)
    Bar Harbor, ME

I have been working at Jackson Laboratory

Pros: Great research happening here. Very academic atmosphere, exciting to hear about all the great advances coming from the scientists. Largest employer in Hancock County,… Cons: Housing costs in Bar Harbor/MDI are very high so odds are you'll need to… Advice to Senior Management: JaxFit makes me sad. Having to bring our 'passport' to places and get 'stamped' in order to decrease our health… More

Have had one foot out the door for the past 2 years... sad, very sad

Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Jackson Laboratory

Pros: New facility Some of the coworkers that are down to earth are still here (only very… Cons: Non profit trying to run like corporate, without the money Lots of gossip Have to fight for your job, even though you cant get goals accomplished Lack of… Advice to Senior Management: Follow through with what you say you are going to do. Listen to your folks, dont just say "yes" when we really know you… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Jackson Laboratory.

Worked for Jackson Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jackson Laboratory reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jackson Laboratory CEO Dr. Edison T. Liu. All reviews posted anonymously by Jackson Laboratory employees.