There are newer employer reviews for Jackson Laboratory

JAX West is like waking up in a nightmare 5, 6, or sometimes 7 days of the week.

Current Employee - Research Associate in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Research Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Jackson Laboratory

Pros

You get the technical skills and experience you need quickly, through the daily demands of an insane work schedule, to attain a real career position at a real company.

Cons

A regular work week is 10 hours/day M-F and then your weekend is coming in for 6 hours here, or 4 hours there depending on the demands from being short staffed. Work-life balance is non- existent. If you have plans outside of work supervisors will expect you to cancel them to stay late while they leave early. There is too much work for too little people in In Vivo and this is known by upper management yet ignored to meet the bottom line and accomplish their yearly bonus incentives.

Decrease the workload expected out of technicians to maintain a reasonable work week of 45-50hrs. Increase employee compensation and show appreciation for all that they accomplish for you on a daily basis. Finally, expect from your employees what you expect out of yourself; it's utterly ridiculous that technicians are required to put their lives on hold to stay late and come in on weekends while other members of the "team" are out the door or home already.

47 Other Employee Reviews for Jackson Laboratory (View Most Recent)

Great people doing good work at a beautiful, albeit expensive, location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bar Harbor, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bar Harbor, ME

I have been working at Jackson Laboratory

Pros

Great research happening here. Very academic atmosphere, exciting to hear about all the great advances coming from the scientists. Largest employer in Hancock County, one of the biggest in Maine. Your co-workers and peers are great, as are the scientists at all levels. Management and administration, not so much.

Cons

Housing costs in Bar Harbor/MDI are very high so odds are you'll need to commute from Trenton, Lamoine or Ellsworth. Commuting in the summer can take a long time.

JaxFit makes me sad. Having to bring our 'passport' to places and get 'stamped' in order to decrease our health insurance deductible is insulting, degrading and humiliating. We are not grade schoolers, show some respect and trust in your employees.

Have had one foot out the door for the past 2 years... sad, very sad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Jackson Laboratory

Pros

New facility
    Some of the coworkers that are down to earth are still here (only very few)
    Very hard working folks (taken for granted)
    Oh, and 2 big screen tvs in the breakroom

Cons

Non profit trying to run like corporate, without the money
    Lots of gossip
    Have to fight for your job, even though you cant get goals accomplished
    Lack of teamwork and communication, even though they want that environment
    Lots of people are miserable but dont want to leave
    Unfairness in how people are treated
    Too many politics for a nonprofit research
    High turnover rates
    Inconsistincies within Sac facility and across both coast facilities
    Lots of frustration throughout the facility
    They dont want to fire people because they dont want to pay unemployment

Follow through with what you say you are going to do. Listen to your folks, dont just say "yes" when we really know you mean "no". Also, there are some very intelligent people working for you that you continue to refuse to listen to, and still listen to the bottom dwelling bum kissers that are making the high dollar mistakes throughout the facility. And how many more supervisors/ leads do we really need? How about just letting us do our work for once without changing it every 5 minutes. I have worked with this company for awhile, and feel so dragged down and disrespected that I can't even believe we are still operating when I know so many others feel this way too. I think at one point you even wanted to hire immigrants to do the work so there would be less complaining? I don't know how we are supposed to get on the top 100 places to work out here in Sacramento when you dont take your employees seriously, dont listen, and continue to be stubborn or incognizant about true changes that need to take place. You really need to nurture people, give them more resources for work/life balance and fun. And stop making it seem like production runs the show, there are far more other people here working just as hard.

There are newer employer reviews for Jackson Laboratory