Jackson Laboratory

There are newer employer reviews for Jackson Laboratory

Jackson Lab West

Former Employee - In Vivo Lab Technician II (RA II) in Sacramento, CA
Former Employee - In Vivo Lab Technician II (RA II) in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Jackson Laboratory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a strong connection between coworkers.

Cons

The working conditions at Jax West are poor. The management does not care about the employees or the mice they are working with. This is different than Jax East, which seems like a good place to work and i have no idea why there is this disconnect between the two. There is little to no understanding of how science works. Jax West In Vivo group is the worst lab I have ever work at. I have never worked with a more stressed out, disorganized, demoralized group in my life.

Money is not the only thing that matters in life. There are many labs, both professional and educational, that find a way to do research while keeping their employees satisfied with their work. If you could improve morale and separate the housekeeping from the actual science work, you could reduce turnover. When one of our coworkers leaves Jax, we all celebrate like someone just got out of jail. How is it that you don't understand how unhappy your employees are?

47 Other Employee Reviews for Jackson Laboratory (View Most Recent)

Great Employee Focus!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Bar Harbor, ME
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Bar Harbor, ME

I worked at Jackson Laboratory full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Lab does a great job of really creating an employee first atmosphere. One of the best benefits packages in the area. Between JAX fit, 403b contributions and a generous vacation plan, the lab has got to be one of the best places to work!

Cons

Location - Bar Harbor is in the middle of nowhere and housing is a real challenge. Depsite this, it is in a beautiful location. Otherwise, there really aren't a lot of cons to the organization.

Keep up the great work!

RSI injuries are very widespread and animals are subjected to very abrupt handling by technicians rushing to quotas.

Former Employee - Animal Room Operations Technologist II in Bar Harbor, ME
    Former Employee - Animal Room Operations Technologist II in Bar Harbor, ME

I worked at Jackson Laboratory

Pros

A great place to learn interesting aspects of laboratory animal production in a highly technical and extremely fast paced environment. Compensation is in line with similar production facilities in the country. Almost unlimited amount of overtime hours are available and one of the best 403b retirement plans out there.

Cons

Animal productions and operations management team is a critical weak link in the chain of much needed improvement in every process toward correcting the conditions that persists. Conditions of unrealistic work loads, time constraints in acquiring materials needed to carry out assigned work, availability of labor required to accomplish timely animal welfare activities related to length of time between animal dirty cage changes and overly abrupt handling of live animals as a result of last minute ditch efforts to get all animals into clean cages at the end of scheduled work weak.

All managers need to successfully be able to perform all aspects of animal husbandry on a consistent basis during every anticipated problem that impacts animal care technicians experienced in the course of a typical thirty day period twice a year with one period encompassing a typical holiday weak, also known as a short weak. Further, if any manager is not able to perform a fully expected work load that will reflect no more or less than what is required of all technicians, then that manager must be removed from the management team and may be replaced by one who is capable of and familiar with the requirements of the work load expectations.

There are newer employer reviews for Jackson Laboratory