There are newer employer reviews for Jackson Laboratory

A need for change

Former Employee - In Vivo Lab Technician II (RA II)  in  Sacramento, CA
Former Employee - In Vivo Lab Technician II (RA II) in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Jackson Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learned a lot of techniques in a short period of time, by a really great trainer. The techs are the smartest/ambitious/social/friendly people I have ever met. Just the best group I have been around.

As long as things can stay balanced between home and work you will learn techniques that are very unique and in a short period of time.

Free lunches often from various catering.

Bar Harbor staff VERY friendly and approachable.

Cons

The only training program is for beginning techs, which is great, but there are other positions in the lab too that should have some sort of training program in place.

Expecting techs to work 50+ hours a week is unreasonable. There is nothing in the job descriptions about mandatory overtime, yet the techs are expected to stay.

Be ready for your schedule to change daily.

Responsibility is often shifted from one person to the next, and when the ball falls, the last one holding it is the one to blame.

All the other cons from the other reviews I stand by. I came into this job, knowing the reviews, but also knowing I love science. Until the head of the leadership changes, do not work here. It doesn't matter how optimistic you are, how much you love research, how much you love to work, this job (as it stands now) will suck the life out of you.

Be reasonable. For a company that is non-profit, you sure do focus on the "revenue" side of things. Bringing in as many projects as possible, as many procedures as possible without the thought of the quality/work environment. Do not set processes in place and expect them to only be followed as long as it does not screw up what you are trying to get done.

Also, have better communication with those who are on probation periods. Don't cancel their 1:1's for weeks and weeks at time. To potential employees: make sure while you are on probation to have great communication with your recruiter, this is as much a benefit to them as it is to you, and have clear written instructions what will lead to you either being hired or not.

Have training programs for all positions that are in the lab.

There needs to be change in leadership. The pressure of revenue and lack of presence in the lab, alongside the techs, has caused nothing but problems. Techs leave often before two years, and the techs remaining often explain why everyone is leaving and what needs to change. Yet nothing changes or if there is change it is too late. I believe the reason why Bar Harbor receives such high marks is because of the compassion the employers have for their employees. Anytime I worked with anyone from Bar Harbor they were very understanding and reasonable. If some training could be done between the two management teams, I think it would be very beneficial. It is just time for change in leadership, before no one is left.

46 Other Employee Reviews for Jackson Laboratory (View Most Recent)

Great Employee Focus!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I  in  Bar Harbor, ME
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Bar Harbor, ME

I worked at Jackson Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Lab does a great job of really creating an employee first atmosphere. One of the best benefits packages in the area. Between JAX fit, 403b contributions and a generous vacation plan, the lab has got to be one of the best places to work!

Cons

Location - Bar Harbor is in the middle of nowhere and housing is a real challenge. Depsite this, it is in a beautiful location. Otherwise, there really aren't a lot of cons to the organization.

Keep up the great work!

Never work here

Former Employee - Animal Care Trainee II  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Animal Care Trainee II in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Jackson Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a job that paid money.

Cons

Treated like a machine. If you like killing many animals on a daily basis, this job is for you!

Please quit.

There are newer employer reviews for Jackson Laboratory

Worked for Jackson Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!