There are newer employer reviews for Jackson Laboratory

I interned there during the summer and enjoyed the experience.

Former Intern - Intern in Bar Harbor, ME
Former Intern - Intern in Bar Harbor, ME

I worked at Jackson Laboratory as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I, along with other summer students, was provided with housing, food, and stipend. It's located in a small beautiful town and if you like going to the beach and hiking, then you'll enjoy it, especially during the summer. The lab also provides a shuttle for workers throughout the year, if I am not mistaken. There are also free buses for everyone around town, only in the summer because the town receives a lot of tourists during this time.

Cons

Unless you own a car, transportation around Bar Harbor can be difficult during winter and spring. The shuttles provided by the lab are only during morning to transport workers to and from work.

Other Employee Reviews for Jackson Laboratory

A need for change

Former Employee - In Vivo Lab Technician II (RA II) in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - In Vivo Lab Technician II (RA II) in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Jackson Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a lot of techniques in a short period of time, by a really great trainer. The techs are the smartest/ambitious/social/friendly people I have ever met. Just the best group I have been around. As long as things can stay balanced between home and work you will learn techniques that are very unique and in a short period of time. Free lunches often from various catering. Bar Harbor staff VERY friendly and approachable.

Cons

The only training program is for beginning techs, which is great, but there are other positions in the lab too that should have some sort of training program in place. Expecting techs to work 50+ hours a week is unreasonable. There is nothing in the job descriptions about mandatory overtime, yet the techs are expected to stay. Be ready for your schedule to change daily. Responsibility is often shifted from one person to the next, and when the ball falls, the last one holding it is the one to blame. All the other cons from the other reviews I stand by. I came into this job, knowing the reviews, but also knowing I love science. Until the head of the leadership changes, do not work here. It doesn't matter how optimistic you are, how much you love research, how much you love to work, this job (as it stands now) will suck the life out of you.

Advice to Management

Be reasonable. For a company that is non-profit, you sure do focus on the "revenue" side of things. Bringing in as many projects as possible, as many procedures as possible without the thought of the quality/work environment. Do not set processes in place and expect them to only be followed as long as it does not screw up what you are trying to get done. Also, have better communication with those who are on probation periods. Don't cancel their 1:1's for weeks and weeks at time. To potential employees: make sure while you are on probation to have great communication with your recruiter, this is as much a benefit to them as it is to you, and have clear written instructions what will lead to you either being hired or not. Have training programs for all positions that are in the lab. There needs to be change in leadership. The pressure of revenue and lack of presence in the lab, alongside the techs, has caused nothing but problems. Techs leave often before two years, and the techs remaining often explain why everyone is leaving and what needs to change. Yet nothing changes or if there is change it is too late. I believe the reason why Bar Harbor receives such high marks is because of the compassion the employers have for their employees. Anytime I worked with anyone from Bar Harbor they were very understanding and reasonable. If some training could be done between the two management teams, I think it would be very beneficial. It is just time for change in leadership, before no one is left.

Nothing ever changes at JAX West

Former Employee - In Vivo Technician (RA) in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - In Vivo Technician (RA) in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Jackson Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great coworkers in In Vivo. Excellent experience for young tech's out of college.

Cons

Managment keeps saying that things will change for the better, however, it usually changes for the worst. No follow up to any issues that the eployees have. Promises are not kept by upper managment. "Lab operational supervisors" hide out all day in an office with out supervising anything. NO upward mobilty.

Advice to Management

Managment keeps asking WHY so many people are unhappy and leaving, the answers are in front of you, you just need to follow up. There are opportunites in sacramento other than JAX; people will continue to leave until you value them. Stop blaming the workers for the faults of the managment.