There are newer employer reviews for Jackson Laboratory

Great people doing good work at a beautiful, albeit expensive, location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bar Harbor, ME
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bar Harbor, ME

I have been working at Jackson Laboratory

Pros

Great research happening here. Very academic atmosphere, exciting to hear about all the great advances coming from the scientists. Largest employer in Hancock County, one of the biggest in Maine. Your co-workers and peers are great, as are the scientists at all levels. Management and administration, not so much.

Cons

Housing costs in Bar Harbor/MDI are very high so odds are you'll need to commute from Trenton, Lamoine or Ellsworth. Commuting in the summer can take a long time.

JaxFit makes me sad. Having to bring our 'passport' to places and get 'stamped' in order to decrease our health insurance deductible is insulting, degrading and humiliating. We are not grade schoolers, show some respect and trust in your employees.

47 Other Employee Reviews for Jackson Laboratory (View Most Recent)

Have had one foot out the door for the past 2 years... sad, very sad

I have been working at Jackson Laboratory

Pros

New facility
    Some of the coworkers that are down to earth are still here (only very few)
    Very hard working folks (taken for granted)
    Oh, and 2 big screen tvs in the breakroom

Cons

Non profit trying to run like corporate, without the money
    Lots of gossip
    Have to fight for your job, even though you cant get goals accomplished
    Lack of teamwork and communication, even though they want that environment
    Lots of people are miserable but dont want to leave
    Unfairness in how people are treated
    Too many politics for a nonprofit research
    High turnover rates
    Inconsistincies within Sac facility and across both coast facilities
    Lots of frustration throughout the facility
    They dont want to fire people because they dont want to pay unemployment

Follow through with what you say you are going to do. Listen to your folks, dont just say "yes" when we really know you mean "no". Also, there are some very intelligent people working for you that you continue to refuse to listen to, and still listen to the bottom dwelling bum kissers that are making the high dollar mistakes throughout the facility. And how many more supervisors/ leads do we really need? How about just letting us do our work for once without changing it every 5 minutes. I have worked with this company for awhile, and feel so dragged down and disrespected that I can't even believe we are still operating when I know so many others feel this way too. I think at one point you even wanted to hire immigrants to do the work so there would be less complaining? I don't know how we are supposed to get on the top 100 places to work out here in Sacramento when you dont take your employees seriously, dont listen, and continue to be stubborn or incognizant about true changes that need to take place. You really need to nurture people, give them more resources for work/life balance and fun. And stop making it seem like production runs the show, there are far more other people here working just as hard.

Great people, Great mission, Lousy management.

I have been working at Jackson Laboratory

Pros

The people care very much about the mission and non-profit work. Working at the Lab has the potential to give back to the medical and pharmaceutical communities in a big way.

Cons

The services part of the lab is very conservative and is incapable of growth. Any change or initiative is seen as a risk and is to be avoided at all costs.

Lots of the Junior managers are taking leadership courses. I don't see any of the mid to senior -level managers applying the basic lessons we are learning. It's pretty disappointing, this place has huge potential with some real leadership. I'd like to see the yearly survey put back in place, it seemed to be the only feedback anyone took seriously.

There are newer employer reviews for Jackson Laboratory