Jacobs Engineering
www.jacobs.com Pasadena, CA 5000+ Employees

Too big, too bureaucratic to maneuver effectively in a rapidly changing market

Project Control Specialist (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA

I have been working at Jacobs Engineering full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of opportunities in the immediate, to be used as a stepping stone for something else. Jacobs project work is great way to meet your next potential employer, but no serious consideration should be given to staying at JEG long term.
Safety promotion can be obnoxious, especially when they insist on forcing all employees to take multiple driving tests whether they drive for the company or not, but you do get the sense that they do want everyone to give Safety priority in the whole life, not just at work. And that is great. Of course, ultimately, you come to realize that this only benefits them because a workforce that doesn't get injured doesn't cost them money.
Also, within their wheelhouse areas, engineering, architecture and design, they do support some improvements/career furthering learning opportunities in the form of scholarships for school, tuition off-set, and certification sponsoring. Again, it's beneficial for them to have more licensed Architects, etc in the fold, so it ends up being a mutually beneficial experience.

ConsDon't expect to grow within the company. Jacobs is awful at recognizing the talent they already have. They never seem to be done looking for new talent or new companies to acquire, but the talent they already have suffers for lack of guidance or development.
They are also incredibly short-sighted. Decisions rarely go beyond the needs of the next big project. Time and again, people who are hired with verve find themselves with nothing to do and ultimately laid-off once the project they were hired for is completed. Again, it's possible you might come on for a three-year stint, and that's great. But more likely, you will be hired for a six month program and assigned to a manager who doesn't really see you as your whole skill set; just as the piece that fits the current puzzle. When the puzzle is finished, often, so are you.
Also, management is rarely disciplined for their short-shortsightedness. They can hire and lay-off seemingly innumerable people with impunity. No one is ever pulled aside and required to qualify why they continue to staff their departments with the wrong people or why people who are hired for one job don't translate to others...we just keep hiring and firing.
Management also doesn't seem to get much training. Engineering is especially rife with managers who have few people skills and even fewer leadership skills in positions of leadership. While I agree that someone who understands the functioning of a department is key to managing one, but there should be some sort of other qualification beyond having a degree in the desired area and having worked for several years in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's more than time to stop shuffling the same deck of cards. Ineffective management and leadership that can't maintain long-established client relationships should not continue to remain in positions of influence. Time to clean house, and you can start a the top with the CEO who supposedly retired over two years ago, but is somehow still intimately involved with the company and still drawing a paycheck. It's hard to move forward if we can't get over the past.

OK company to work for but I have had much better jobs.

Principal Engineer (Current Employee)
Fort Walton Beach, FL

I have been working at Jacobs Engineering full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Semi-secure but the contract is rebid constantly. Cons: Limited chances for promotion unless you are a brown nosing,… Advice to Senior Management: Treat your employees like they are valuable and not just… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Excellent company with a lot of room for mobility, travel, and a diversified career!

Process Engineer III (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Jacobs Engineering full-time for more than a year

Pros: Strong salaries "superstars" in the Engineering Community Great experiences Cons: Health Plans are average at best. Some offices are better… Advice to Senior Management: Find people who are worth investing in. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Jacobs Engineering.

Worked for Jacobs Engineering? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jacobs Engineering reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jacobs Engineering CEO Craig L. Martin. All reviews posted anonymously by Jacobs Engineering employees.