Engineering Technician III

Current Employee - Engineering Technician III in Hampton, VA
Current Employee - Engineering Technician III in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are decent people. The jobs are easy, the flexibility is nice as well. You are paid every Friday which is a big perk for those who like to have their money each week. PTO is based on years of service. Here is the breakdown: Less than 5 years: 2.31 hrs/wk = 15 days off 5 but less than 10: 3.08 hrs/wk = 20 days off 10 but less than 15: 3.46 hrs/wk = 22.5 days off 15+ : 3.85 hrs/wk = 25 days off Your PTO is on top of the 10 Federal Holidays you get per year. Yearly reviews are in place and they try their best to give you a raise each year.

Cons

Sometimes they won't fire the people who need to be fired. I like a professional work environment and there are a few people here who came from non-professional work places and haven't adapted. In other words, they need to be talked to by HR about their actions, but no one does. They promise growth, but that doesn't happen. Everyone is too busy to help you grow. Jacobs doesn't recognize an MET as any form of an engineering degree. You will not be doing any engineering work with this degree. You can become bored depending on your job. Some people are really really busy, while others are not. Being Jacobs Technology based @ NASA and being funded from the Gov't, there are some tough times with the budget.

Advice to Management

Praise your good employees and replace your bad. Nothing is worse than having to work with ignorant, non-productive people. Help your employees grow. All we want to do is be challenged and make more money... give us that opportunity.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good but has room for improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work with great people and I strongly believe in the Safety and Relationships culture at Jacobs. Depending on the immediate management, most assume that you are an adult and can do your job without being micromanaged. Overall this is a great place to work.

Cons

Benefits have always been a sore point at Jacobs. The offerings are good, but our percentage of cost as employees is typically higher than others in the industry. There is a lot of training available for management and high potentials, but no obvious efforts are made to develop talent and the careers of the other 80-90% of the employees. This is a large company so it can be difficult to navigate through the many diverse layers of management.

Advice to Management

Provide rotation opportunities for lower and mid level employees. Provide the employees with easier access to information on breaking the ceiling between individual contributors to management. You have a great program for college graduates, but don't forget to reach out to the tenured employees too.

2. The type of management you were always hoping for

Former Employee - Engineering Specialist in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Engineering Specialist in Bedford, MA

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Proactive managers. Engaged and engaging ethical corporate officers. Strong, supportive HR. Intriguing work conditions.

Cons

Some of their customers can be raw and abrasive. Inconsistency in training staff. Contracts wax and wane, not a ding on the company but on the employment stability in this line of business.

Advice to Management

None. If most companies operated this way, the economy wouldn't be in the wreck it's in. Wow, that sounded close to Rogers Star for president didn't it?