Jacobs

www.jacobs.com
There are newer employer reviews for Jacobs

i enjoyed my time at Jacobs, it is a great company....

Former Employee - Project Administrative in Arlington, VA
Former Employee - Project Administrative in Arlington, VA

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent work environment and benefits, many possibilities of growth.....

Cons

Supervisor needed better personal relations and communication skills, other than that it was a great job.

801 Other Employee Reviews for Jacobs (View Most Recent)

Unappreciated, undervalued and taken for granted

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay (but I made $25,000 less last year than the year before because they reduced my hours), ability to telecommute

Cons

The biggest con is that under no circumstances are you allowed to charge to overhead. This means that they conduct staff meetings and informational meetings during lunch hour. If you are asked to update your resume for a proposal, you have to beg and plead for a project number to charge your time to (they expect you to work extra on billable work to get your 40 hours). If you aren't part of the "in" group, you have to find your own projects to work on. If you find work but someone in the "in" group wants it, you'll have to fight to keep it from being handed over to them. I have one project that I work on. Since it only provides me an average of 27 hours a week, I was converted to modified full-time which means I only get paid for the hours I can bill to a project. My client expects me to be available 40 hours a week in case something comes up or an ASAP request comes in so basically I'm "on call" for 40 hours but don't get paid for it. I received a score of 98% on the client satisfaction survey that is associated with the one project I have. I also have never received a negative performance review. This past year I got a 1.5% raise. The year before I got a 1% raise. The year before that was also 1%. What's interesting though is that the rate that the client pays for me goes up by 5% automatically each year. He even asked me if I was seeing any of that and was disappointed to hear that I was not being rewarded for the great job I was doing. The only reason I am still with Jacobs is because I care about the project I am on and I love working from home. By the way, Jacobs no longer pays for my former cubicle, landline phone or parking space but won't pay for the cell phone I use to communicate with my client and staff. I recently needed the professional version of some software to do my job but couldn't get my manager to approve it. Thankfully the trial version worked. My manager checks in with me about 3 times a year for administrative tasks. In a nutshell, it's awful. I won't get into the culture and values but it's all smoke and mirrors. You will not feel cared for. You will not feel like you are their greatest asset. All you will feel is anxiety when you can't find the minimum 21 hours of billable work that they require that you have.

Technician

Former Employee - Technician in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Technician in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent Ford work environment, excellent Ford Management. Work as a subcontractor at Ford Motor Company. Good way to get your foot in the door at Ford. 3 weeks paid vacation and all Ford holidays off with pay.

Cons

Horrible Jacobs managers. Very low pay rates, according to industry standards. Sub-par health benefits package with a very high employee contribution. Even once you have proven yourself to be an asset to the company, they refuse to pay employees accordingly. Jacobs management flat-out lies to your face without shame, and makes promises of raises or bonuses that never materialize. It is a constant "revolving door," with high turn over rates. Management does not follow it's mantra of "our people are our greatest asset." Jacobs management could not care less about its employees. I have seen great employees get treated horribly by Jacobs management because the supervisor was in a bad mood. If you get an offer from another employer, Jacobs will do little to keep you, maybe offer you $0.25 an hour to stay, when your new job will pay at least $5.00 an hour more than what Jacobs pays. Oh, by the way, overtime is almost non-existent. Good luck paying your bills if you take a Jacobs position.

Advice to Ford Management: get rid of Jacobs Technologies, hire the good Jacobs Techs into Ford, and regain control of your employee base.

There are newer employer reviews for Jacobs