There are newer employer reviews for Jacobs

Not a bad place to work

I worked at Jacobs

Pros

They care about their employees.

Cons

Could have let me stay until the end of the work directive.

reviews filtered by

They say that people are their greatest asset, but they definitely don't treat you like this when it matters

Former Employee - Engineer III in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Engineer III in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working at a NASA site (White Sands Test Facility in Las Cruces, NM) as a contractor you get to work on some very interesting and challenging projects. When busy there is not a dull moment. Most of the non-management coworkers are very easy to work with. When it is not busy its very low stress, basically just sit around and wait to get busy. You can piggy-back some of the benefits from "Big" Jacobs (Jacobs Engineering) that some of the smaller R&D type contractors do not see.

Cons

Pay is very low compared to what they charge NASA and in comparison to other private companies in the same industry. Reviewing my ASME salary survey I found that I was in the bottom 1% nationwide for my experience/education. There is no chance to advance in the company unless you become one of the managers best buddies, while it's not exactly nepotism it's very close. Most of the managers are brought in from other Jacobs sites which either lost a contract or were re-organized. Another con is that management will do or say anything to appease the NASA civil servants and this includes hanging you the worker out to dry. I have been thrown under the bus many a time. Management will not back you up or protect you when the situation occurs. Jacobs is always preaching safety, and they can handle some situations well usually when what has happened is very visible. However when it is a large (expensive) and not very visible issue it tends to get swept under the rug. Many times we were required to report to work (Or use our personal time to cover the absence) when the only highway leading to work was closed by NM DOT. Jacobs does not value its workers, I was offered another job by another company and I spoke to management to see if they would be willing to counter offer so that I could stay. They basically told me good luck in my future endeavors. How is an employee supposed to feel like they are an asset, when it's clear that they are so easily replaceable or not even worth the time and money to make a viable counter offer.

Advice to Management

Take care of your current employees because their specialized expertise is not replaceable, you cannot replace a person with 10 years experience with a co-op or new college graduate. Eventually this loss of expertise or brain drain will catch up to management and bit them.

Large stable company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of work if you're willing to move around. Offices all over the world. Professional work environment. One of the largest engineering and construction companies in the world. Health benefits are good, lots of flexibility with work hours. Overtime comes up with some regularity and it's paid straight time.

Cons

You need to take care of your own career -- make a lot of friends and connections so you land a spot on the next project.

Advice to Management

None

There are newer employer reviews for Jacobs