There are newer employer reviews for Jacobs

Wonderful place to work, some of the most intelligent, gifted people you could ever work with are at this company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Huntsville, AL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

The best co-workers, wonderful benefits, quite offices, very little drama, opportunity to advance, very caring senior staff, friendly environment that grows into a second family.

Cons

Unfortunately an unstable contractor environment.

Be honest with your employees, they know business is business. If a reduction in force is necessary, let themprepare for it as well. Theylove the company enough to be loyal, they expect the same from the company.

722 Other Employee Reviews for Jacobs (View Most Recent)

Great work - little communication

Current Employee - Senior Programmer I  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer I in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

Interesting and varied work, well-known company, great benefits, highly-skilled co-workers, flexibility to work across technical disciplines, excellent customer rapport, opportunity to learn new technologies, high review ratings

Cons

Limited opportunity for promotion within a team; no clear communication of expectations; minimal performance feedback; lack of direction; disorganized; lack of team definition and cohesiveness; "pools" of workers with no clear responsibilities or ownership of tasks; no communication of organizational goals

Involve qualified key technical personnel in planning and team-building. Provide clear performance expectations to all employees. Define teams with specific goals and clear ownership of tasks. Assign technical leads who, under direction of management, coordinate development of detailed processes and procedures with the teams and manage the technical workloads of the team members.

Be billable or Be gone. No allowance to improve.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Univ of Northern Colorado, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Univ of Northern Colorado, CO

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

Jacobs Engineering has some really talented people, that help me make it through my day. The wages are good. They have some managers that really know how to lead, but many others are sub-par.

Cons

You work from project to project. If there is not project to go to; you are released. Jacobs tends to hold onto sub-par managers and let go very talented individuals when project work is light. You must be billable. During light work times, they should retain their good employees for ideas.

Jacobs assigned all managers to a Wage and Hour Course. This course identifies what the law and policy states, but the reality is far from policy. There is no overhead, so HR related issues, Performance Appraisals, training, defensive driving course, review or modification of work procedures, approval of time sheets all have to done on the Client's dime. These items do not take precedence over your design work and in most circumstances are done on your own time, which is an expectation.

Craig -
    Please treat your employees as people and not machines. Recognize that we have great ideas, and let us show you how to streamline to make small projects more successful. When billable work is light, you should retain the good employees and let them re-assess the procedures for future work. Streamline processes and the like. Invest in the future. Spending a dime here and there can make you millions down the road.

You have to invest in us. Your people are your greatest asset. Listen to us. Learn from us. Don't burn us out.

Oh.. and separate the wheat from the chaff, please.

Thank you.

There are newer employer reviews for Jacobs

Worked for Jacobs? Contribute to the Community!