Great colleagues, lack of experience, no direction

I have been working at Jagex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic colleagues and atmosphere
Fair working hours
Good benefits
Slowly getting more experienced developers on-board.
QA and Player Support teams are relatively well-paid.

Cons

Managers and directors largely lack the necessary experience. Projects and teams are largely disconnected and reactionary. A lot of work gets redone.

Communication is a huge problem for many departments, results in wasted time and effort. Visibility for cross-departments and cross-teams is dire. Many developers run around chasing decisions others have made.

Pay is highly variable and rarely based on experience or contribution and effort. Largely underpaid. The company often cites the line that pay is lower as our jobs are safer. Not true, with several projects having been shut down in 2012, people have been made redundant, along with various "dissapearings" which makes us all question our positions.

Although the company is getting more experienced developers, its slowly eroding the work-life balance that once made Jagex a fantastic place to work. Company days out are now limited to just one or two days a year and team events are extremely rare. Starting to become permanent crunch on some teams and we are losing our benefits in the process.

Almost no room to grow or develop your skills. No on-site training offered and internal promotions are extremely rare. Senior positions limited by headcount. Tech is not similar to the rest of the industry so skills are not always transferable to other companies. Pay rises are difficult to achieve. Even just to match inflation.

Positions are often sold with generous financial bonuses. Not as generous for most employees.

Bring in more experience - at all levels - but don't erode the values that make it a great place to work.
Work to integrate teams and make decisions and communications clearer.
Increased pay doesn't always make happier employees, but it certainly makes employees feel valued when they're asked to give up more than before with no reward.

Other Reviews for Jagex

Some nice people, management has a complete lack of ability to develop a new title.

Current Employee - Programmer  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Programmer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some really nice people there as the company seems to take personality into account above all else. They hire mainly graduates so you can get a foot in the door.
    Not much overtime in some teams.

Cons

I left Jagex a year ago and from my contacts there I believe that absolutely nothing has changed. When I started working for my new company it blew my mind to discover that most people in management had actually worked there way up from development this is not the case in Jagex. Beyond lead positions most people have come from community management or are mates of someone who has come from there. They have absolutely no idea how develop a new title or a new engine and essentially fall over eachother's feet at making any decision. 90% of all development work is time wasted due to management's complete lack of skill. At first you think Jagex is a nice place to work until you realise that only sycophants actually progress with their careers regardless of anyone else's skills or contributions. Despite over a decade of unlimited funds the company is of yet to produce a second profitable title. I look back at it now like it was as if I had run away with the circus without realising it.

From the top down everyone should ask themselves truthfully "Do I really have an idea what I am doing?". Act upon the honest answer you give yourself and more than two thirds of you should quit the next day.

Used to be a great place to work, but I would avoid now.

Former Employee - MMORPG Content Developer  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - MMORPG Content Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some excellent people working there, used to throw some good parties and events, used to have some nice perks and benefits.

Cons

Very little creative room, career progression non existent, management lacks any real leadership ability, no long term direction from senior management, failure to follow through on promises (very little trust in leaders), office politics those who know what needs done leave quickly or are pushed if they don't agree with the upper management.

There are newer employer reviews for Jagex.

Worked for Jagex? Contribute to the Community!