There are newer employer reviews for Jagex

A great buzz for a customer of 10 years, into a depressive career end.

Former Employee - Jagex Player Support  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
Former Employee - Jagex Player Support in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Quarterly 'Jollies' - £30 per head, meal, paint ball etc.
Positive colleagues.

Cons

Terrible Workloads - 10 hours of clicking buttons, and listening to whiny 13 year olds hijacking accounts for 'teh lulz'.

Poor management with no director or real leadership.

Constant dismissals - You would notice people disappear and never return, as the company is replacing permanent staff with temps to cover the work loads.. Which you can see above, people are paid LESS now than before.

10 Hour shifts.

Grow some balls with your company, value the ones whom commit rather than sacking them because of your service levels.

I wouldn't be surprised if you went under in the next few years, disgusting.

58 Other Employee Reviews for Jagex (View Most Recent)

Trying hard to grow out of RuneScape

I worked at Jagex full-time

Pros

Stable company making a lot of money
    Great attention to employees
    Nice place to work and good perks
    Loads of great people

Cons

Doesn't pay as much as it could
    Has no idea how to make a game other than Runescape
    Doesn't seem to be able to manage contradiction
    Overconfident because of financial success, while it should be modest and try to learn how to make a proper game
    Paranoid security policy

Listen to people who actually know how to get a game done from scratch, and don't think that Runescape is the way it's done today.

Some nice people, management has a complete lack of ability to develop a new title.

Current Employee - Programmer  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Programmer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some really nice people there as the company seems to take personality into account above all else. They hire mainly graduates so you can get a foot in the door.
    Not much overtime in some teams.

Cons

I left Jagex a year ago and from my contacts there I believe that absolutely nothing has changed. When I started working for my new company it blew my mind to discover that most people in management had actually worked there way up from development this is not the case in Jagex. Beyond lead positions most people have come from community management or are mates of someone who has come from there. They have absolutely no idea how develop a new title or a new engine and essentially fall over eachother's feet at making any decision. 90% of all development work is time wasted due to management's complete lack of skill. At first you think Jagex is a nice place to work until you realise that only sycophants actually progress with their careers regardless of anyone else's skills or contributions. Despite over a decade of unlimited funds the company is of yet to produce a second profitable title. I look back at it now like it was as if I had run away with the circus without realising it.

From the top down everyone should ask themselves truthfully "Do I really have an idea what I am doing?". Act upon the honest answer you give yourself and more than two thirds of you should quit the next day.

There are newer employer reviews for Jagex

Worked for Jagex? Contribute to the Community!