Jagex
www.Jagex.com Cambridge, United Kingdom 500 to 999 Employees

shame

ProsWithin development teams a great team spirit and some very very talented individuals.

Cambridge is a nice place to live in and arround

Very impressive QA - with good progression opportunities.

Staff jollies historically have been impressive, slightly less so recently, but still of a very high standard.

Recently some good hires to SM/Executive team.

ConsAppalling Senior (executive) management, some highlights include:
. A mystery american studio that ran for a year, burned through a great deal of capitol and then vanished with out ever contributing to the company, even in the form of a post mortem
. A very senior member of staff feeling that staff should "be grateful for your jobs, we pay a great wage!" and acted very surprised when several members of Development staff pointed out they worked a second job at a local supermarket, which paid better, to make ends meet
. A very firmly entrenched culture of head rolling, similar to musical chairs just before various milestones

Unpaid overtime, while this is not uncommon in the industry that dose not make it ethical or good practice - several members of staff racked up near twice their contracted core hours over a development cycle. Some received a 'flash' bonus that equated to around £1 per hour for the additional work.

Reward for performance is erratic and frequently boils down to 'attitude' rather than accomplishment.

Promises with regard to money very rarely materialise into reality

Lots of flash very little substance

Disappearances - not uncommon to find a desk cleared in the morning, or after a break, with no explanation or acknowledgement.

Generally very poor relations between upper management and development teams

Cambridge is very expensive to live in and around, commute is difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt this point it would take a miracle to restore the trust of a very large segment of your workforce. There is a fundamental lack of trust, to the point at which it cannot begin to heal without a radical, and painful, change in the SM and Executive teams.
Which is a shame, as your developers still strive to make the company a success - despite the constant downward pull coming from SM and Executive teams.
Seeing talented work colleagues, who have contributed vastly and practically to the company be removed while the dead weight above remains is painful.
More so when other very talented and vital members of staff resign and no amount of money, or other inducement will convince them to stay should ring alarm bells.

As another poster has commented, take a long look and answer honestly - "do I contribute meaningfully to this company?". Let us do our jobs and make Jagex hugely profitable.

A great buzz for a customer of 10 years, into a depressive career end.

Jagex Player Support (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time for more than a year

Pros: Quarterly 'Jollies' - £30 per head, meal, paint ball etc.… Cons: Terrible Workloads - 10 hours of clicking buttons, and listening to whiny 13 year olds hijacking accounts for 'teh lulz'. Poor management with no director… Advice to Senior Management: Grow some balls with your company, value the ones whom commit rather than sacking them because of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Some nice people, management has a complete lack of ability to develop a new title.

Programmer (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: There are some really nice people there as the company seems to take personality into account above all… Cons: I left Jagex a year ago and from my contacts there I believe that absolutely nothing has changed. When I started working for my new… Advice to Senior Management: From the top down everyone should ask themselves truthfully "Do I really have an idea what I am doing?".… More
There are newer reviews on Jagex.

Worked for Jagex? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jagex reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jagex CEO Mark Gerhard. All reviews posted anonymously by Jagex employees.