Jagex

www.jagex.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Jagex

Great company, poor senior management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The staff are friendly.
The perks are pretty good.
Quarterly fund for department 'Jollies' like a dinner or bowling and a big party at least once a year for the whole company.

Cons

Lack of a stable direction from senior managers.
Loss of the Jagex identity with both staff and players (and just getting worse despite the senior management seeing all the signs).
Below average wages (despite being in an area where the cost of living is the same as London).

Once a plan is developed stick with it. Stop changing your minds so often. This causes uncertainty within the company as well as costing the loyalty of what used to be one of the greatest communties within the gaming industry. Look at the structure of the company; management is becoming top heavy and so many new processes introduced just so that those same managers can have pretty reports and numbers that don't make the slightest difference. Remember, Jagex got to it's biggest peak without 'industry standards' thanks to great content and word of mouth spread by the community.

70 Other Employee Reviews for Jagex (View Most Recent)

A great entry point into the industry working with great people in a company that looks after you.

Current Employee - Artist in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Artist in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company probably takes better care of it's employees than most in the industry. It's benefits are great. The social side of things are amazing, with awesome seasonal parties and generally employees feel appreciated for their efforts. Jagex's work life balance in comparison to other companies in the industry is exemplary, where crunching is the norm in other developers Jagex always tries to avoid this on a cultural level and also attempts to make it worth your while if the situation is unavoidable.

Cons

In the past senior management was ignorant of the competition and thus lacked vision. Experience in the industry was seriously lacking in Senior management, it's positions being filled by close friends rather than with those possessing necessary skills and experience. Thankfully this is something that is changing, slowly. The original product has remained the golden goose and new IP must be developed for long term success. Any new products are likely to be hobbled by serious engine constraints, lack of imagination and forward thinking in decision making and direction.

You have a wealth of resources in Jagex. Video game players from every demographic and people with an intimate understanding of the medium. I believe you would be shocked at how few actually use our product and in developing future products I believe it's necessary to have a more inclusive atmosphere in the early idea stages if we are develop products that can compete in the marketplace and have anything imaginative or unique about them.

Fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - MMORPG Content Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very well experienced staff, well paid, I enjoy working with the games. I'd even do voluntary work at Jagex!

Cons

Very few; maybe I've seen the better side, but it is a fantastic atmosphere, lovely staff and we have great events!

Focus on less about the money and more about the opportunities and content.

There are newer employer reviews for Jagex