There are newer employer reviews for James Hardie

Overall I am very satisfied as an employee. Compensation, benefits and fellow employers make it worth working there.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peru, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peru, IL

I have been working at James Hardie

Pros

Compensation is very good for the area as well as benefits. With a little hard work you can move up quickly. Fellow workers are easily to get along with and very helpful, always willing to lend a hand.

Cons

Job security is in question. Management seems shaky, I feel like I am being criticized a lot and by people who don't know how to run my position. Management positions should be promoted within the company by employees who have worked their way up. There is a lot of micromanagement and that makes it difficult for me to perform my job. I feel like I'm constantly having someone look over my shoulder. Also, although the plant is performing very well, hours are being taken away. I am happy with my hourly pay but I am making the same as when the plant was performing poorly, and with less hours, so I am actually bringing home less money now, which doesn't make sense. You can move quickly on the pay scale if you learn a lot of positions, but eventually it caps off so there is no possibility of a raise now unless a supervisor steps down.

Promote within more. Employers who have experience running the machines are going to know more than an outsider with a fancy degree. When schedule changes are made and hours are cut, give more explanation as to why this is happening. Re-evaluate the way employees get raises. After an employee learns about 8 positions he/she is capped off unless a supervisor steps down.

reviews filtered by

Bull headed company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at James Hardie

Pros

James Hardie has a wonderful benefits program, possibly better than anywhere I have every seen. Their pay is comparable to most employers and possibly a little higher. They have a very strong culture and interview to find the best culture fit. If you fit in with this culture, you will enjoy working there

Cons

The culture is to be hard on their employees. Be prepared to work many hours and travel at a moments notice if you are in manufacturing. The only real way to get promoted at Hardie is to relocate. If this isn't good for you, your career progression will be limited. You are most likely going to get verbally abused regularly and often will not be recognized for doing something above normal since they expect this out of you anyway. They have a culture where they push change above anything else, unfortunately this change is only pushed in the actual manufacturing of the product, not in how they work with people or effeciencies. They want people that will come up with better manufacturing plans, but refuse to hear better business ideas because that is not "the Hardie way".

James Hardie manufacturing is run by hard work, but not smart work. They will rely souly on working one person hard for as long as it takes. They have experts to turn to when things go wrong, but is too short sighted to plan for the future. It is all about what can be done now. If a few key players were to leave the company today, they would have a lot of problems running the company. When new ideas are brought up for future development of the staff, they are generally recognized, but turned down since it doesn't help today's bottom line. Louis is a fine leader, but may not know about everything happening below him. There are some strong engineers working in manufacturing that are often told their new ways of manufacturing will not work at Hardie. This can be discouraging to staff and is ultimately holding the company back.

Good employer, but lacks empathy.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA

I worked at James Hardie

Pros

Even with the housing market at its lowest point in years, James Hardie is still profitable. They are a good company and offer exceptional benefits including fabulous heath care insurance, 6% matching 401K, and even free lunch on Fridays (although that may be disappearing). They hire high caliber employees and look to hire the very best.

Cons

When downsizing 22 corporate positions, they gave the staff NO advance notice. A meeting with HR and you were walked out the door -- not even a chance to say good-bye to friends. Good luck trying to get all of your personal effects back.

Have respect for the people that gave their all for the company for years. Give them notice of planned lay-offs and thank them for their service and let them leave with dignity.

There are newer employer reviews for James Hardie