There are newer employer reviews for James Madison University

Best real world experience for a college student

Former Employee - Advertising Manager in Harrisonburg, VA
Former Employee - Advertising Manager in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at James Madison University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing leadership opportunity. No better option for a college student to gain experience in the realm of Marketing, advertising, advertising design, journalism, newspaper management, and news website design. Not just another summer internship getting coffee and doing menial tasks. As a student run newspaper, the students call all the shots and make almost all the decisions (both in the Editorial and Marketing/Advertising departments). Aside from two faculty advisers and an accountant, The success of The Breeze relies entirely upon the student's initiative. Faculty advisers are eager to support the good ideas of their student staffers. High turnover rate leads to more innovation and fresh content. Students must learn to balance their studies and work.

Cons

Due to being staffed by college students, there is a high turnover rate (positive & negative thing). This does not allow for students to develop and see through any long term vision or plans for the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open to change and new student ideas.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. As a former Graduate Fellow, this University does a wonderful job supporting it's student employees.

Former Contractor - Research Fellow in Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Contractor - Research Fellow in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at James Madison University as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours, work environment, accessibility, and culture. I enjoyed working with a diverse group of individuals throughout the day and it truly made me enjoy my work week.

Cons

Pay is low comparatively to other Universities.

2. Great job, low pay. Opportunity to complete school work.

I have been working at James Madison University

Pros

Great work life balance. I am almost always able to work on homework while at work. Supervisors are fair and motivating.

Cons

Student employees start at minimum wage. It is difficult to have your work recognized when you work at Taylor Down Under.