Jefferson County Public Library
jefferson.lib.co.us Lakewood, CO 150 to 499 Employees

Learn From My Mistake

Library Manager (Former Employee)
Lakewood, CO

ProsI guess I would say that they do seem to offer a fairly good benefits package. I don't really have any other pros to offer.

ConsI think I have probably an unusual perspective on this organization because I was a Library Manager. So this review is best read by professional or management level librarians who are considering working for this organization, particularly those who may be considering relocating here to work for Jefferson County Public Library. I think for nonprofessional folks JCPL is an ok place to work, but as a Library Manager I could not work for this organization. Jefferson County is a widely dispersed, geographically huge county, with many different types of communities. Yet, the management philosophy here (actually, it is more like an ideology) is that JCPL is to be run as "one library". In other words, there is no decision that can be made by any library manager without consulting with the "Public Services Management Team", or PSMT. If this "Team" doesn't vote unanimously to approve your idea, you are not allowed to implement it in your library. Any program implemented in one library must be implemented in all. So, why have managers? This is truly one of the most bizarre libraries I have ever worked for in my 20 year career.

The other major, major bread and butter issue that they do not tell you when you are interviewing is that for all practical purposes they do not offer cost of living raises for the vast majority of staff. I think they were deceptive when I interviewed.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am not sure what to say to the management, because all of them have been with this system for many years and clearly want no change.

Good Customer Service - Job One

Children's Librarian (Current Employee)

I have been working at Jefferson County Public Library

Pros: good co-workers, ability to add variety to what my responsibilities are, ability to balance my personal outside interests with my professional job life, feel very… Cons: there is not a tremendous amount of room to move up - because being a government agency (in a conservative county), new positions are… Advice to Senior Management: keep being open with communications - satisfactory level of that… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Jefferson County Public Library-Where Careers Go To Die.

Reference Librarian (Former Employee)

I worked at Jefferson County Public Library

Pros: I think if you want to work part time, it could be a good place… Cons: There are absolutely no opportunities for advancement at all. And even if you are promoted to a management position, you really don't have any autonomy… Advice to Senior Management: There is no point to providing feedback or advice, since… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Jefferson County Public Library.

Worked for Jefferson County Public Library? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jefferson County Public Library reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Jefferson County Public Library employees.