Jefferson County Public Library

Learn From My Mistake

Former Employee - Library Manager in Lakewood, CO
Former Employee - Library Manager in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Jefferson County Public Library

Pros

I guess I would say that they do seem to offer a fairly good benefits package. I don't really have any other pros to offer.

Cons

I think I have probably an unusual perspective on this organization because I was a Library Manager. So this review is best read by professional or management level librarians who are considering working for this organization, particularly those who may be considering relocating here to work for Jefferson County Public Library. I think for nonprofessional folks JCPL is an ok place to work, but as a Library Manager I could not work for this organization. Jefferson County is a widely dispersed, geographically huge county, with many different types of communities. Yet, the management philosophy here (actually, it is more like an ideology) is that JCPL is to be run as "one library". In other words, there is no decision that can be made by any library manager without consulting with the "Public Services Management Team", or PSMT. If this "Team" doesn't vote unanimously to approve your idea, you are not allowed to implement it in your library. Any program implemented in one library must be implemented in all. So, why have managers? This is truly one of the most bizarre libraries I have ever worked for in my 20 year career.

The other major, major bread and butter issue that they do not tell you when you are interviewing is that for all practical purposes they do not offer cost of living raises for the vast majority of staff. I think they were deceptive when I interviewed.

I am not sure what to say to the management, because all of them have been with this system for many years and clearly want no change.

8 Other Employee Reviews for Jefferson County Public Library (View Most Recent)

Good Customer Service - Job One

Current Employee - Children's Librarian in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Children's Librarian in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Jefferson County Public Library

Pros

good co-workers, ability to add variety to what my responsibilities are, ability to balance my personal outside interests with my professional job life, feel very good about what I do (I believe strongly in what public libraries offer to our society, and offering that with outstanding customer service is what JCPL is about)

Cons

there is not a tremendous amount of room to move up - because being a government agency (in a conservative county), new positions are not created very often. And since most of the people I know are happy in their positions, openings don't come up all that often.

keep being open with communications - satisfactory level of that now

Jefferson County Public Library-Where Careers Go To Die.

Former Employee - Reference Librarian in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Reference Librarian in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Jefferson County Public Library

Pros

I think if you want to work part time, it could be a good place to work because it is one of the few places that provide benefits to part timers.

Cons

There are absolutely no opportunities for advancement at all. And even if you are promoted to a management position, you really don't have any autonomy or authority as a manager to do anything unique or innovative in your library. The management tries to impose absolute conformity in all 10 locations, when these communities are actually pretty different and have different needs. Every decision or initiative has to be cleared through 3 levels of managers, and there are no guidelines as far as when you will get a decision. Basically, the senior management team wants only change that is initiated by those three managers.

There is no point to providing feedback or advice, since they don't accept any feedback anyway.

There are newer employer reviews for Jefferson County Public Library