There are newer employer reviews for Jenny Craig

Great program...bad place to work

Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping clients lose weight and reaching their goals

Cons

Its too bad Jenny Craig doesn't treat their employees nearly as good as they treat their clients. You will work long hours, get paid minimal (minimum wage or maybe a few cents more oh and when you get a review be prepared to receive maybe 20 cents more an hour), be expected to make call after call to get back old clients since Marketing does nothing to bring in more business, get be rated and bullied by your Market Director oh and he/she will make sure to talk behind your back or spread rumors to other employees...hello are we in High School now? LOL I could keep going but I think you get the idea.

Advice to Management

First get some marketing! Come on don't you think its about time to actually advertise like other weight loss companies? If you want your business to sustain another 30 years treat your employees with respect and pay them what they are worth, you just might become more successful. Something else is get with the times! The technology used is ancient and no email in centers or apps for smart phones? Come on Nestle and Dana stop browbeating your employees and actually listen to them, but wait employees wont always be forthcoming when their MD is a bully.

Other Employee Reviews for Jenny Craig

Loved the job. Got tired of working ALL the time to pay bills.

Former Employee - Program Consultant
    Former Employee - Program Consultant

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* The people that you get to help. I really felt like I was making a difference in their lives... My weight loss percentage was very high, as were my other metrics. * Some of my coworkers became friends outside of work.

Cons

* The compensation. It is not enough to live on. Most people have a spouse, are going in debt trying to make this job work for them, OR work at multiple jobs in order to make enough money to cover their bills. * I traveled to other centres to "support" them. The reimbursement checks were not particularly timely, and travelling impacted my home centre and my personal numbers negatively, thereby decreasing the amount of money that I was making. * Was penalized for going to other centres on short notice; I was effectively marginalized at my own centre, and made redundant. They also will call you when you are on vacation and try to get you to sacrifice to help "support". * Meetings. Lots of meetings. These are to rehash things that you already know, but if you don't "role-play" effectively, you are made to feel stupid, or get to deal with condescending attitudes, or both. The "role-playing" generally does not mesh with the reality that you face everyday. * Was told that my ideas for marketing were not acceptable, and I needed to continue calling people "in the interest of customer service" to get them to come in.... when those former clients had explicitly said that they were NOT interested and weren't coming back. * Some Centre Directors that I had the fortune of working with were fantastic. Some were ready to play "High School Meanie" and throw you under the bus. The environment, which should have been collaborative, was less than that, and made you feel like you ought to be picking knives out of your back. * Unrealistic sales goals. The sales goals for PD/PC are unattainable. Even when I was in the top two for the district, I couldn't hit the goals that they required me to attain. This leads to you worrying about losing your job, because they threaten to replace you when you don't reach it. * The compensation can be misrepresented to potential hires. In some cases, the numbers quoted would only happen in a major metropolitan area like New York. * The compensation for Centre Directors is much better than it is for the people under them. They get bonuses based on each percentage point above quota that the centre achieves. Those numbers are watched like a hawk, and lots of dialing for dollars and employee purchases happen, so the centre qualifies for the monthly bonus. * There is so little staff that you are probably working incredible amounts of overtime, which impacts your PPH and SPH, lowering your numbers. Over 80%+ of my paychecks included overtime, due to staffing issues. * Turnover is atrocious. Generally, few people last in this job for an extended period of time. * Benefits are awful. The health insurance is truly lacking for first year hires, and only moderately improves after you reach your first year anniversary date. * Once you leave JC, some people are afraid to talk to you, because they fear potential repercussions for doing so. * "Out of the box" thinking is heavily discouraged. * Flexing the program to meet the client's needs is only paid lip service. * Training is lacking. The Market Trainer does the best she can with the materials provided, within the framework given by corporate. * At the end of the day, my job entailed my being a cheerleader, therapist, dietician, nutritionist, counselor, grocery bagger, secretary, inventory counter, marketing specialist, telemarketer, salesperson, exercise consultant, and occasional chair warmer (since all centres MUST have TWO people on staff at all times). All of this was done for very minimal wages.

Advice to Management

Advice to Nestle: Get a new CEO. Intervene immediately, listen to your consultants who see clients every day. Change the compensation plan. Different ways to keep in touch with clients is needed (not everybody wants a phone call; email and text to keep in touch would be a good start) Fix the antiquated technology that is being used in centre, fix the sad iPhone app that keeps crashing (which is pretty useless anyway). Stop discounting programs and giving away free food. Lower the cost of the food, the markup is way too high. Get out of the 1980's, the old ways of doing business aren't working any more. For the cost, this needs to be a PERSONALIZED program... stop paying lip service to that ideal. And start paying your workers a living wage. The constant turnover impacts the numbers negatively.

Terrible Pay. Demoralizing work

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time

Pros

-Helping people change their lives -Meeting some really great and interesting people -Working with others who really wantto help people -Great/Healthy way to lose weight when the program is followed

Cons

-Poverty level pay -No support from corporate -Terrible communication from the company -Demoralizing to not be able to help people like we should be able to -Constant phone work (almost cold calling past clients) -Too expensive to keep clients long term -Long hours/not enough time off The company is one of the worst paying, and least supportive ( to it's employees) that I have every worked for. I , and others, have to have a second job to simply be able to pay rent and eat. We provide therapy to clients who don't have the money to pay a professional psychiatrist. You are a cheerleader, a confidant, a shoulder to cry on, and a therapist all for almost no pay. The commission scale is a joke, and doesn't reward you for actually getting client to their goal weight. The emotional weigh down from taking on all of your clients problems is crushing. When you don't have a client in center, you are calling from lists of people who have quit the program. Most of the live calls bring hostility from the former clients, and you're often hung up on and yelled at for calling to try to bring people back to the program. There is almost no advertising. Consultants are expected to bring most of the business in by calling people in any free time. The hours are long and there is no time off. Holidays are all worked ( even when corporate is closed) and trying to find someone to cover for you to take your time off is a nightmare

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and take over some of the stress of advertising and getting people through the door. Make changes to update the company and get rid of the ridiculous PPH and FDA requirements.