Jenny Craig
www.jennycraig.com Carlsbad, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Loved the job. Got tired of working ALL the time to pay bills.

Program Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time for less than a year

Pros* The people that you get to help. I really felt like I was making a difference in their lives... My weight loss percentage was very high, as were my other metrics.
* Some of my coworkers became friends outside of work.

Cons* The compensation. It is not enough to live on. Most people have a spouse, are going in debt trying to make this job work for them, OR work at multiple jobs in order to make enough money to cover their bills.
* I traveled to other centres to "support" them. The reimbursement checks were not particularly timely, and travelling impacted my home centre and my personal numbers negatively, thereby decreasing the amount of money that I was making.
* Was penalized for going to other centres on short notice; I was effectively marginalized at my own centre, and made redundant. They also will call you when you are on vacation and try to get you to sacrifice to help "support".
* Meetings. Lots of meetings. These are to rehash things that you already know, but if you don't "role-play" effectively, you are made to feel stupid, or get to deal with condescending attitudes, or both. The "role-playing" generally does not mesh with the reality that you face everyday.
* Was told that my ideas for marketing were not acceptable, and I needed to continue calling people "in the interest of customer service" to get them to come in.... when those former clients had explicitly said that they were NOT interested and weren't coming back.
* Some Centre Directors that I had the fortune of working with were fantastic. Some were ready to play "High School Meanie" and throw you under the bus. The environment, which should have been collaborative, was less than that, and made you feel like you ought to be picking knives out of your back.
* Unrealistic sales goals. The sales goals for PD/PC are unattainable. Even when I was in the top two for the district, I couldn't hit the goals that they required me to attain. This leads to you worrying about losing your job, because they threaten to replace you when you don't reach it.
* The compensation can be misrepresented to potential hires. In some cases, the numbers quoted would only happen in a major metropolitan area like New York.
* The compensation for Centre Directors is much better than it is for the people under them. They get bonuses based on each percentage point above quota that the centre achieves. Those numbers are watched like a hawk, and lots of dialing for dollars and employee purchases happen, so the centre qualifies for the monthly bonus.
* There is so little staff that you are probably working incredible amounts of overtime, which impacts your PPH and SPH, lowering your numbers. Over 80%+ of my paychecks included overtime, due to staffing issues.
* Turnover is atrocious. Generally, few people last in this job for an extended period of time.
* Benefits are awful. The health insurance is truly lacking for first year hires, and only moderately improves after you reach your first year anniversary date.
* Once you leave JC, some people are afraid to talk to you, because they fear potential repercussions for doing so.
* "Out of the box" thinking is heavily discouraged.
* Flexing the program to meet the client's needs is only paid lip service.
* Training is lacking. The Market Trainer does the best she can with the materials provided, within the framework given by corporate.
* At the end of the day, my job entailed my being a cheerleader, therapist, dietician, nutritionist, counselor, grocery bagger, secretary, inventory counter, marketing specialist, telemarketer, salesperson, exercise consultant, and occasional chair warmer (since all centres MUST have TWO people on staff at all times). All of this was done for very minimal wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Nestle: Get a new CEO. Intervene immediately, listen to your consultants who see clients every day. Change the compensation plan. Different ways to keep in touch with clients is needed (not everybody wants a phone call; email and text to keep in touch would be a good start) Fix the antiquated technology that is being used in centre, fix the sad iPhone app that keeps crashing (which is pretty useless anyway). Stop discounting programs and giving away free food. Lower the cost of the food, the markup is way too high. Get out of the 1980's, the old ways of doing business aren't working any more.

For the cost, this needs to be a PERSONALIZED program... stop paying lip service to that ideal. And start paying your workers a living wage. The constant turnover impacts the numbers negatively.

Hard work gets rewarded

Weight Loss Consultant (Former Employee)
Columbia, MO

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: People, Owner are amazing! Training is great! Ability to control… Cons: Retail hours and phone time. Advice to Senior Management: Remember why your doing your job. Clients come first. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

program consultant

Program Consultant (Current Employee)
Nowhere, OK

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time for more than a year

Pros: meet good people, save lives. Cons: impossible to live on wages. hours are terrible, won't get… Advice to Senior Management: raise wages ASAP! No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Jenny Craig.

Worked for Jenny Craig? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jenny Craig reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jenny Craig CEO Monty Sharma. All reviews posted anonymously by Jenny Craig employees.