Jeppesen Sanderson

www.jeppesen.com
  www.jeppesen.com
There are newer employer reviews for Jeppesen Sanderson

Good place to work

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)
Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Jeppesen Sanderson

Pros

Professionally, it a good place to take initiatives if they are promising to add value to the product/services delivered to the customer.
Some technical issues for Crew planning solftware are sometimes related to optimization problems which can be very much interesting to solve compared to straight forward computations.
Socially, the people are very educated, polite, and respectful. I have never being in such a nice work environment.

Cons

At the beginning there is a long learning curve about Crew planning concepts and technologies which can make the first year or so a bit frustrating.
Currently (March 2010) HR is not doing a good job in communicating the company's expectations regarding the Montreal office.

We need more high managers from the headquarters to visit us so they can provide us more insight on what's is going on company-wise.

122 Other Employee Reviews for Jeppesen Sanderson (View Most Recent)

A perspective from the Montreal office

Current Employee - Product Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Jeppesen Sanderson

Pros

Jeppesen is a multinational entity so it is hard for me to give a very specific review about treatment across all of our offices. However, there seems to be a common trait...Jeppesen is a relatively pragmatic company that treats employees fairly. I work from the Montreal office and have experiences with the Swedish and New York offices, so I'll speak to the conditions of those facilities. What I enjoy the most about my work environment is that there is a sense of being respected by your peers due to your competence rather than an institutional approach where the senior employees are revered for the duration they've been there.

The Montreal office is located downtown in a nice high rise with some nice amenities. For example there is a shower for bikers, a nap room, nice raising desks, etc. The staff is great and the office is well managed. It's hard for me to gauge how competitive our salaries are but I based on anecdotal evidence, it seems that your pay range is in the middle of the curve.

Cons

While local management is great, there is a strong centralized senior management that has a very wide portfolio of products. Most of the decision support units reside at Jeppesen's headquarters (Denver) and there is a lot of paperwork involved in most work activities. Perhaps this is because Jeppesen has had a primary focus in publishing paper flight charts which align it closer to the printing industry rather than an IT outfit. There is a strong mandate to change the business into an electronic data provider but this has had its growing pains.

Being at one of the satellite offices, I feel leadership tends to favor centralization. For example, the Mercury project is an attempt at a "one size fits all" data warehouse structure. However, the Jeppesen portfolio is quite diverse and I feel that more power at the product level would help spur growth. It is true that Jeppesen Montreal, which is part of Crew, has had more leeway than other offices. However, this is hobbled by the fact that the units supporting the business (HR, IT, Finance, etc) are not staffed sufficiently to keep up with the pace of our business.

If you can't find a job anywhere else in town - consider Jeppesen

I worked at Jeppesen Sanderson

Pros

Great benefits as a Boeing company.

Cons

Sweat shop. Managers talk about employees like high school. Finance department it a toxic environment. Hourly employees work tons of overtime instead of hiring additional staff. Many areas overstaffed while others grossly understaffed. It's nuts. No reward - recognitition for contribution. Serious lack of communication between departments.

Listen to the Dennison results. Listen again - then act!

There are newer employer reviews for Jeppesen Sanderson