There are newer employer reviews for Jiffy Lube

I wouldnt work here OR get my car serviced here

Former Employee - Courtesy Technician in Lees Summit, MO
Former Employee - Courtesy Technician in Lees Summit, MO

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I dunno what "pros" THIS place would have...

Cons

I worked here at 18 back in 2001 and i was only there for 4 months, and I must say this had to be one of THE MOST childish jobs ive ever worked at. All my coworkers were very ignorant and most of them were still in high school. They treated ME like I was a total idiot who couldnt do ANYTHING right and I was getting yelled at every minute. I went to work at JL just to get away from walmart and these people were no better, in fact they were worse! I only worked here to get more auto experience and the only thing they ever really let me do is courtesies, like airing up tires, vacuuming out the cars and cleaning off windows. I never did get to change oil there. I eventually quit that job cause I got deathly sick of how I was being treated. I just thought; "If the only thing I have to look forward to by coming to work everyday is getting chewed out every minute for small stuff then Im just gonna seek life elsewhere cause a job that pays this little is not worth it." This company is notorious for screwing people out of their money anyway. I only put 2008 as my last year of employment there cause 2002 wasnt an option.

Why give them any advice when their not gonna listen anyway?

reviews filtered by
  1. Horrible Management/Service/Pay/Hours. Fear/intimidation based Mgmt, number pushers, etc.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Bonus paid monthly based on car count and budget net sales forecasts. However, it is a moving and ever changing target. Difficult to predict. Time fly's when the crew is working together when the traffic is good.

Cons

Upper mgmt does not get it. Their company wide email rants are multiple times per day. The best I can say about these emails is if/when they give a compliment or pat on the back, they also make sure to say 3-4 things which in essence slap whoever they are referencing in the face. There is no tact and there is little to zero one-on-one reprimands... they air the dirty laundry right there in company wide emails for all to see. To me, the so called pep-talk emails are more 'chest beating' than anything. The reaction from ANYONE who reads the emails, regardless whom is addressed, is total shock and dismay. "Really..? I cannot believe the big boss said that on a company public email." And... it's like this almost every single day.

Everyone there thinks they understand cars, oil, sales etiquette, customer service, etc. This is ANYTHING but the truth. Employee's steal oil changes for their own cars like clockwork, too and steal hours. There are MANY young punk kids working there. They're searching for any moment to hide around a corner so they can text and play with their cell phones. Turnover rate is off the charts high, as upper mgmt is constantly pressuring store mgr's and taking everything out on them. When DM's or higher make mistakes, they blame the down line instead of owning up to the mistake themselves.

It is NEVER good enough. Turnover is also high with lower level, as they all know that the company does not care in the least about the employee, and it is blatantly obvious even to the least educated folks. Company has gone bankrupt more than once, too. Customers are always angry with the price... ALWAYS. Quite often, manual overrides have to take place to honor a current coupon which the system is not accepting. Their Point of Sale system is ALWAYS malfunctioning and you have to call the I.T department for assistance. This eats massive amounts of time and costs money, as you end up having to comp a customer to make them happy, due to the time factor in the system error causing everything to stop.

Enforce the Cell phone policy. Be consistent with schedules and car count/net sales forecasts. Stop with the $10 off all day discounts. Either adjust your prices or shut up. Customers are leaving in herds over this sort of stuff. Especially when they can go literally around the corner and get the job done for half the price. In those cases, you are NOT going to sell synthetic oils to them. Sure you have to make a profit, but 300-350% mark up on services such as Transmission fluid exchange is not good business, it's holding people at gun-point, so to say.

You get a lot of your problems because you disgruntle employees and store managers to the point that they're all looking for another job and everything associated with the store/customers declines because these employees have given up caring because they have grown to hate the company. The customers know this, and know there is little care for them by the company, either. All they say and see is greed and they complain in their anger that the economy is too tight for them to afford to do business there. Even in the more affluent areas where I not only worked, but was desired by the company to work in the affluent areas because they know I'm one and they know I know how to talk to these people. Certainly there are the times when customers just call to play games and threaten to make trouble out of nothing so that they can get a free oil change.

Rather than terminating, start giving employees in mgmt 'exit interviews' when you terminate, and I assure that you will learn so much more about what is going on and what the issues are than what you already think that you know. The company is not always right and the employee is not always wrong. (Otherwise, why have you gone bankrupt more than once in 10 years, dumb a**es..?) Numbers are not the entire story, at least not when it comes to employees. Many of your Mystery Shoppers either lie or greatly embellish and stretch the truth in their reports, too. I've been there, seen the reports and remembered the shopper/occasion. Other managers in other stores have said the same about some shoppers.

2. Low Pay for What you do!

Current Employee - Lube Tech in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Lube Tech in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Jiffy Lube part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some what of a flexible schedule.
    Pretty mindless work.

Cons

Low pay.
    Have to hold a sign by busy road ways and wave to on coming vehicles.
    Dirty place to work for.

There are newer employer reviews for Jiffy Lube