There are newer employer reviews for Jimmy John's

There's Not Much Good To Say

Former Employee - PIC/Driver/In-Shop  in  Denver, CO
Former Employee - PIC/Driver/In-Shop in Denver, CO

I worked at Jimmy John's full-time for more than a year

Pros

In short, I was able to become a shift manager in less than a month. This was largely because, unlike some of the people who had been working there for months (and in one case, over a year) I learned the menu.

Cons

They appear to have a standard of hiring the worst possible people for the job (or really any job). Although I know some people at other stores that are quality employees and have a decent staff, my store was filled with people who didn't know the menu, were unhygienic, has little or no customer service skills, and had to be continually monitored (or they'd do something bafflingly wrong). As I mentioned before, at my store there were employees who worked there for well over a year and did not know how to make a sandwich, wash dishes, or do basic tasks. Whether you're a driver or an in-shop, there are less than 20 menu items (and it's not like any of them have special preparation). Eventually I made a case for them to get shown the door but it was only after nearly six months of asking what certain employees had done to continue to work there. I was also only paid $8/hr to be a shift manager and made significantly more as a driver, so there was no real motivation for advancement. There were also points where I worked 28 days in a row (that's why it got one star for "work/life balance."

I don't know whether it's like that at every JJ's.

Give a reason to want to move up with good compensation for your shift supervisors and competitive compensation/benefits for your management staff.
I know that it's a basic job and you're not going to get the best employees but it would be nice not to look like you're trying for the worst possible employees.

443 Other Employee Reviews for Jimmy John's (View Most Recent)

Fun place if you aren't looking to make much money, management gets paid well but worked a lot of hours.

Current Employee - In Shop Associate
    Current Employee - In Shop Associate

I have been working at Jimmy John's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great managers that keep it fun. Great employees that all contribute. Clean and professional. It is a bit top heavy with managers, assistant managers, managers in training, regional managers and business coaches, but because of that, they show they really care for the customer and quality product. Advancement opportunities do exist if you want to be management.

Cons

Very few hours, expect to be cut early, my daily shift is 1.5-2hrs because in shop workers are sent home when the rush ends... Dealing with customers that treat you like a lowly fast food worker... Managers work a lot of hours, not a great work/life balance, but they are compensated well in the general manager category, be prepared to travel to MN and Las Vegas on a regular basis if you are management.

Get your in shoppers more hours.

so so

I have been working at Jimmy John's

Pros

good food but cannot have a conversation

Cons

music too loud so we will not return

turn down music so people can have a conversation while eating

There are newer employer reviews for Jimmy John's

Worked for Jimmy John's? Contribute to the Community!