There are newer employer reviews for Jive Software

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Professional Services Engineer in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Professional Services Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about Jive is the people I work with - they are smart and fun, the type of people that make work enjoyable. The company as a whole does a better than average job at seeming to care about employees and being transparent about internal processes. The compensation and benefits are good, too.

Cons

If you have any problem with alcohol, this company is not for you. It is an integral part of the company culture, and in some offices/departments it's taken to almost an excessive level.

reviews filtered by

Get Down and Jive

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Managers are responsive, communicative, understanding, and provide constructive feedback; it helps that they all have a great sense of humor as well
    - People, so far, are passionate about what they do here at Jive, out-going, friendly, and are all ready to offer you a helping hand or ask you to join them for lunch
    - Full stocked kitchen = Two-thumbs up
    - Everything is pretty organized, and if anything does happen to come up (which it will), it is immediately directly to the right person and quickly resolved
    - Like everyone said, Jive has a work hard/play hard mentality
    - The company and software itself has a lot of potential, and will be of success if it continues to grow and invest in their employees (which they do)
    - Continuing training and as needed training = Two-thumbs up
    - Great medical, dental, vision and transportation benefits!

Cons

So far, I haven't experienced any Cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Mid-sized company with an enormous heart for its employees

I have been working at Jive Software

Pros

I was inspired to write this review after reading a recent interview with the company's CMO about work-life balance. Jive is the rare company that walks that walk, a fact which I am enormously grateful for. You don't have to have cancer to value a company and culture that lets you work around your life circumstances, but when you do have a serious illness like cancer (or a family member with an illness), you value it all the more.

I was blindsided by stage 3 breast cancer just 4 months after starting work at Jive. As a young-ish (early 40's) mid-career professional with some of the best blue-chip names in technology and consulting on my resume, it was natural for me to worry about how my new, much smaller employer with its start-up culture would handle the situation.

The first thing I learned after my diagnosis, from every medical institution I interacted with across multiple states, is that Jive has a benefits package on par or superior to the other firms I've worked for. I have literally lost track of how many times I have been told (usually with some shock and awe) that I have some of the best health insurance benefits they have seen.

Second, while working through cancer treatment is an intensely personal decision, for me it was something I wanted and needed to do to keep my sanity. Jive is an intensely social company which leverages its own technology to foster connectivity and engagement with its employees. That comes in very handy when you want to hire and retain smart, high caliber employees who live in remote places where Jive doesn't have offices, and also when you want to facilitate people working and contributing around their daily lives. That's the part where the CMO's interview really resonated with me.

For me, this flexibility has been critical. It meant that I have been able to work throughout diagnosis and surgery in the Bay area, three rounds of second opinions across the country, five months of chemo on the east coast, then back to the Bay area for radiation. I am now embarking on a clinical trial which looks to take me to yet another major city. Throughout, I have been able to stay involved and connected to my team by virtue of the company's work-from-anywhere culture and its use of its own technology to support that value system. And I haven't just been connecting with my immediate teammates, I've been busy interacting with everyone from sales, to our partners, to our CFO.

During some of the roughest sections of my chemo treatment I would have days when I was flat out useless. Jive has an (almost unheard of) unlimited PTO policy, but I tended to make up the work either in the evenings when I was feeling better, or over the weekends. I'm not a workaholic, but for me work was a welcome respite from depressing charts and statistics. I was never questioned once about how the hours balanced out, and to this day I honestly do not know.

Throughout my treatment, the entire company has been supportive in a compassionate, yet non-intrusive way. Jive's generous company policies follow a company culture that simply passionately values its employees. It's not as if these policies exist for the mere purpose of attracting top talent in the hyper-competitive Silicon Valley hiring market. This company actually cares, and I feel it in a way I did not feel at some of my blue chip former employers. This is a small(ish) company with a big heart, and I wish there were more like it.

Cons

This company values high engagement and interaction, so it's not a great place for those who prefer to remain anonymous or reclusive. And the flip side of a company that facilitates people working round the clock and remotely is that there is always someone working and sending out emails at all hours. With fuzzier work-life boundaries, it comes down to each employee managing that balance for themselves.

Advice to Management

Not advice, just: Thank you.

There are newer employer reviews for Jive Software