There are newer employer reviews for Jive Software

Great Place to Work as an Intern

Current Intern - Social Media Intern in Palo Alto, CA
Current Intern - Social Media Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I am very lucky to have landed an internship at Jive for many reasons, but there's one reason in particular that outshines the rest: I feel important. It's easy for employers to throw their interns into the same old getting-coffee-and-filing-documents rut, but that simply has never happened to me here. Each of my projects is assigned to me with a purpose, and I can see tangible results upon my completion of these projects.

The other interns are fantastic. There are about eight of us in the Palo Alto office, and it's awesome hanging out with a group of people your age during lunch breaks or after work. Although the interns came into the office sporadically due to varying school schedules, we've all bonded quite well. Based solely on the impressive skill set and brightness each intern possesses, it's Jive's university program is a clear success.

There are also a few logistical reasons why I love Jive.
- The absurdly close proximity to downtown Palo Alto is to die for. My only complaint is that it makes choosing where to go for lunch far too difficult.
- My 9-5 hours are perfect: I have time to run before work, and I still feel like I have a day ahead of me when I leave.
- I get paid well for an intern.
- Working in the tech world is an incredible experience as-is, but doing so in the eye of the technology storm is really something else.
- Company culture is fantastic: there's a sense of laid-back intensity that keeps employees on their toes yet simultaneously excited about coming to work every day. Plus the beer that's on tap on every floor seems to keep the 21+ crowd happy.

Cons

My only real criticism about interning here is in regard to the feeling of disconnect between departments. Although Jive prides itself as a social software company, I barely know anyone who works just across the floor from me. I realize that there's a large number of employees working in the Palo Alto office, but I feel like I could have really benefitted from knowing people in other departments as an intern. Learning about how others work is part of the experience and I feel like there is room for improvement. Also, it was easy to feel disconnected with the other interns since they came into the office at different times over the course of the summer. Perhaps they can be grouped together in shifts?

Advice to Management

- More exposure to other departments
- Organized intern bonding activities after each new one comes in

Thank you Jive for giving me such a fantastic summer intern experience!

reviews filtered by

Wow - what an experience!

Current Employee - Global Director, Talent Acquisition in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Global Director, Talent Acquisition in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (less than a year)

Pros

• The people are smart, interesting, helpful, dive deep in their respective areas, have a sense of humor.
    • The culture reflects our Jive product offerings enabling collaboration, communication and connection; high-energy and passion around what we do; agile and yet focused on a collective mission.
    • We encounter interesting and tough challenges daily which makes the work intellectually interesting and calls to each and every person to think bigger and step into new areas allowing for professional growth and development.
    • At Jive, we have the opportunity to “own” our work: we run lean which provides a great platform for each person to take part in the overall success of the company; we stretch and grow and we challenge ourselves to do better; we know that what we are doing will make a difference.
    • The work we do provides each individual with the ability to impact globally both in terms of Jive’s success and, more importantly, the success of our global customers and partners.
    • This is a fast-paced work environment that is ever-changing. What a ride…fasten your seat belts, you are going to have fun but you better be ready to flex with changes and step up into new areas of learning.
    • No day is the same as any other: we work in an environment of change as we are in the midst of an inflection point in our own evolution. What a great opportunity to be part of the journey from great to greater.
    • We eat what we cook: we use our own products every day and so we have a direct view into the capabilities of Jive’s products. For me, it is a new "workstyle" that enables me to be more productive and to enjoy the benefits of transparency I often missed with other companies.

Cons

Availability of snacks: dang…..am on another kind of “journey” as I can’t stay away from the Almond Joys.

Advice to Management

Continue being focused; continue to make those tough decisions; continue to care about your people, take this company to the next level - we WANT it!

2. Smart and good product and people

I worked at Jive Software

Pros

Company is invested in and engaged with employee wellness etc.. Claims that it is a 'startup' and is a 'family' were wishful thinking. It is a large company its product actually reduces the need for face to face, which is brilliant for connecting multiple offices and satellite employees etc.

Cons

Office culture in Palo Alto (corporate hq) was corporate and dry. SOMA office was laid back and pretty isolated from the entire Jive ecosystem. It housed overflow of small group from various new acquisition teams, junior sales and newish talent and designers who were enticed to work at Jive due to the city location. These new employees in the city didn't really interact with the PA office in a meaningful way, so there was a blank slate of 'company culture' when I left. I hope they were able to create a 'family'.

There are newer employer reviews for Jive Software