There are newer employer reviews for Jo-Ann Stores

Constantly understaffed, unreasonable work loads with bare minimum time frames

Current Employee - Current Employee  in  Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Current Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

It's a job that adds a little extra money to my pocket
Employee Discount
Coworkers for the most part pretty fun and pleasant
Managers try to make sure that everyone at least gets their 15 min breakso they can have a brief respite

Cons

Never enough people on the floor (even during big sales!) a good part of the time
Poor training program
Asking for time off can cost you hours for the forseable future
If you have to have a set schedule because of another job, expect to spend a long time discussing this with the manager in charge of scheduling before it's finally done, and expect them to give you crap about it
Takes a long time for availability changes to be put in effect which can be very detrimental if your other job is your primary one

Make a training booklet! Please, this can only help you achieve your bottom line that you care about more than your staff or your customers! Make a training manual that explains all policies, explains how to do returns, includes a map of the store to help people become familiar with it quicker. This is something that can only help us help the customers resulting in a pleasant experience for them and more money for you. Four hours reading a book talking about what Joann's is and how long they've been around won't help someone process a special order or do a return in a prompt and friendly manner. Staff more people, customers get angry because no one is ever around to help them, and schedule closing cashiers during the week to help ease the burden of Guest Services.

297 Other Employee Reviews for Jo-Ann Stores (View Most Recent)

Running on a treadmill expecting to get somewhere when there is nowhere to go.

Current Employee - Cashier/Cutting Counter  in  Lilburn, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Cutting Counter in Lilburn, GA

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

-Good first job; pay rate starts at minimum wage.
    -The store is almost always busy and fast-paced so you rarely get bored.
    -The store will give you time off when you need it.
    -Some of the people I work with are nice.

Cons

-Promotions? No such thing for an employee who hasn't worked at the company for more than five years. Probably more than that actually.
    -The pay raises are so not worth it compared to the work they expect you to get done, and the work you are required to do, as well as the people you are expected to treat "respectfully" towards.
    -Speaking of which, the customers are ungrateful, rude, and greedy.
    -Over all, the job is internally disappointing. You want to feel good about the work and effort you do, but when it's not acknowledged it makes you feel useless. Even when it is acknowledged, you still feel bad because you know there's no advancement options waiting for you that you most likely deserve. No matter how hard or efficiently you work, it doesn't mean a thing to the company.

Pay more attention to your employees instead of the customers. The employees work extremely hard for nothing. We work hard simply because we are told to; I mean, who would want to work for a company that gives them no incentives or rewards for anything they do? No one. We as your employees are doing you a favor.

A pretty good retail job

Former Employee - Manager On Duty  in  Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Manager On Duty in Ontario, CA

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

Discount, rapport with regular customers, rewards for good work, dress code is casual, flexible with schedule, opportunity for advancement if you work hard

Cons

Pretty low pay, customers can be demanding

Pay employees more

There are newer employer reviews for Jo-Ann Stores

Worked for Jo-Ann Stores? Contribute to the Community!