Jo-Ann Stores

www.joann.com
  www.joann.com
There are newer employer reviews for Jo-Ann Stores

Constantly understaffed, unreasonable work loads with bare minimum time frames

Current Employee - Current Employee in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Current Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

It's a job that adds a little extra money to my pocket
Employee Discount
Coworkers for the most part pretty fun and pleasant
Managers try to make sure that everyone at least gets their 15 min breakso they can have a brief respite

Cons

Never enough people on the floor (even during big sales!) a good part of the time
Poor training program
Asking for time off can cost you hours for the forseable future
If you have to have a set schedule because of another job, expect to spend a long time discussing this with the manager in charge of scheduling before it's finally done, and expect them to give you crap about it
Takes a long time for availability changes to be put in effect which can be very detrimental if your other job is your primary one

Make a training booklet! Please, this can only help you achieve your bottom line that you care about more than your staff or your customers! Make a training manual that explains all policies, explains how to do returns, includes a map of the store to help people become familiar with it quicker. This is something that can only help us help the customers resulting in a pleasant experience for them and more money for you. Four hours reading a book talking about what Joann's is and how long they've been around won't help someone process a special order or do a return in a prompt and friendly manner. Staff more people, customers get angry because no one is ever around to help them, and schedule closing cashiers during the week to help ease the burden of Guest Services.

347 Other Employee Reviews for Jo-Ann Stores (View Most Recent)

Running on a treadmill expecting to get somewhere when there is nowhere to go.

Current Employee - Cashier/Cutting Counter in Lilburn, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Cutting Counter in Lilburn, GA

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

-Good first job; pay rate starts at minimum wage.
    -The store is almost always busy and fast-paced so you rarely get bored.
    -The store will give you time off when you need it.
    -Some of the people I work with are nice.

Cons

-Promotions? No such thing for an employee who hasn't worked at the company for more than five years. Probably more than that actually.
    -The pay raises are so not worth it compared to the work they expect you to get done, and the work you are required to do, as well as the people you are expected to treat "respectfully" towards.
    -Speaking of which, the customers are ungrateful, rude, and greedy.
    -Over all, the job is internally disappointing. You want to feel good about the work and effort you do, but when it's not acknowledged it makes you feel useless. Even when it is acknowledged, you still feel bad because you know there's no advancement options waiting for you that you most likely deserve. No matter how hard or efficiently you work, it doesn't mean a thing to the company.

Pay more attention to your employees instead of the customers. The employees work extremely hard for nothing. We work hard simply because we are told to; I mean, who would want to work for a company that gives them no incentives or rewards for anything they do? No one. We as your employees are doing you a favor.

The people kept me there, The company pushed me away.

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Elgin, IL

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores

Pros

The people and the store itself were great.

Cons

Guests most common complaint is that we were understaffed but we were unable to staff more according to our payroll. It's taxing to be understaffed AND yelled at for it. I worked there so long that I was commonly making much less then the other managers that they would send me to train. When my location closed they tried to put me in another store until they could push another manager out so i could take her position....That says it all. They aren't very respectful of their workers and treat them as disposable even after many years of working there. The longer you work there the worse you are treated. It seems they are always trying to get the "newest" manager happy and not worry about their past workers. People I trained (in other stores) were so upset that the company didn't try harder to keep me saw it as sign of how the company operated and quit because of it.

A knowledgeable employee is a a huge asset especially in a business were ppl are always asking how to do things. Hiring a bunch of ppl who know nothing about crafts or fabric is killing your business.

There are newer employer reviews for Jo-Ann Stores