There are newer employer reviews for Jo-Ann Stores

This company has very poor training policies and communication.

Current Employee - Retail Clerk in Grand Rapids, MI
Current Employee - Retail Clerk in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally, my co-workers were very nice and supportive.

Cons

Part one of training consisted of watching a series of DVDs. There was no supervision and no one available for explanations nor questions. For cash register training, we were given a very outdated (manager admitted this) manual that was falling apart with a basket of various items from the store and placed up front next to working clerks serving customers. We were left alone to teach ourselves from the outdated manual. No manager stayed by us to supervise nor be available for questions nor problems. Rules and regulations were not made clear from the start ; it was like bumping up against an electric fence from time to time. Will only be considered for full time work after one year working part-time. I am still employed, but I have not been given any hours what-so-ever for four and a half months. They are avoiding having to pay unemployment.

Advice to Management

It is better for the company overall, for the employee and for the customers to take the time to train employees properly no matter how trivial their status. Expecting someone to train themselves from an outdated manual during a busy time with no one to ask for help is guaranteed to cause problems. It's unnecessary stress on everyone.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Be prepared to work hard for very little pay. However, you meet alot of varied people!

Current Employee - Cashier in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Olympia, WA

I have been working at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount at 20% (and 30% on certain scheduled days). Love working with my co-workers! Most of us are one big family at our store. Lots of the employees have crafting hobbies and constantly bring in examples of what they can do. If you don't have a crafting hobby, chances are after working there for a while, you'll pick something up. Also, all the active work is good exercise.

Cons

...Although its not always the best to be paid minimum wage and then be encouraged to spend your paycheck on all those sale items. And please, the inflated "regular prices" are about three times what normal retail price is. When it's 60% off, its finally at a decent price to buy. About the price of what every other store might carry it at already. It just seems like the customer is getting a "great deal" with all those "sales". And every time I look my manager's and how over worked they can be, I think they must sometimes be going crazy. We try to help on the floor but they never have enough time to finish anything. Alot of times leaving next week's employee schedule until just a couple days (or 24 hrs.) before that week starts. Not enough hours for what our customer base needs. It's intense how much we spread ourselves thin to try to accommodate every customer. And that can make a few angry customers, believe me. And let's face it, there is little to zero benefit coverage if anything medically needed is broached.

Advice to Management

Our management does their best at our store. They listen to us and take into account any problems we may have. But they are very overworked and the don't have salary hours to be able to finish most jobs. And when they have a salary, watch out! They will work managers overtime to get things done and if they don't, they become accountable. There doesn't seem to be a balance in between and we, the employees, get the short end of the stick. Employee schedules shouldn't be left behind in the dust but, it happens because of this. I, for one, shouldn't have to wait to finally find out the first day I work next week is... right before Sunday starts. I put in my time off request 3 weeks ahead of time, I am supposed to get scheduled shifts 2 weeks ahead, not left waiting.

Great People, Horrible Corporate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jo-Ann Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the people that I worked with. Very flexible, understanding, etc.

Cons

Pay was terrible. Very little room for growth or learning.

Advice to Management

Corporate should listen to what the stores tell them!