There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

If I didn't need the benefits, I wouldn't be a current...

Current Employee - Department Manager in Trenton, NJ
Current Employee - Department Manager in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

-The other Department Managers and the Sales Executives are great to work with. -The chance to, 2x a year or so, not need to pretend to be a customer to get a good sale price... ie: 75% off. -Customers can easily make the day go great, when they're in the mood to! -The time away (and it will be considerable, with what they will ask for) from my home and family makes the heart grow fonder? The chance to put "Department Manager" on my resume?

Cons

-The fact that we, as managers, need to either have a second (or a better "primary") job or be independently wealthy to survive with the pay structure. -Daily motivational faxes that are constructed entirely of thinly veiled threats and "team first" cliches that boil down to: Sell or else! -The need to watch out for items "returned" on your days off and resold under another employee's number. -The corporate office's stubborn unwillingness to allow us to deny a customer return even if the item is clearly old, worn from repeated wearing, filthy, damaged from misuse or lack of care, or even without proof of any kind of purchase. Then getting calls, emails, and faxes about how we have to try and turn returns into exchanges because our return numbers are too high! -Items bought online or at a store miles away, when returned WILL count against your store's sales numbers! There are few things worse than the second customer on a Sunday returning a BOG2 (the famous and ever present buy one suit, get 2 free) Signature sale and starting you in an $800 hole by 11:30. -It's been detailed before, but the mandate for "No Customer Complaints" would be a great idea if it were more reasonable. If a customer comes in and wants an $800 suit then gets upset because we won't give it away free with a Cuisinart thrown in for good measure and calls/writes corporate, any employees named (and it doesn't even matter if they were named as being involved, just that your name is in the complaint) are referred to a review board.

Advice to Management

-Make sure there is clear, concise leadership from the top down. -Explain the likelihood (or lack thereof) of the new hires being able to make commission at that location. -An incentive to do better, and something other than "Sell or Else". -An ability to explore the options concerning returns (which believe it or not are a huge problem) instead of just having to take it. -In lieu of the last issue, stop counting returns from catalog (that customers ordered from their home computer) and other stores against the store unfortunate enough to have to do the return.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good place to work

Former Employee - Tailor in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Tailor in East Lansing, MI

I worked at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Pay is not bad, nice environment.

Cons

like in everywere in retail working weekends

Advice to Management

Keep up good work

Management needs to be revamped

Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Great people to work with it. Good chance to meet new people. Clients are funny and you have the chance to establish the client base Good benefits package Get to network well

Cons

Management treats all sales exec's like slaves. This stems from the assistant manager to area directors. My manager ALWAYS gets chewed out for something and in turn, he chews us all out. Whether it's about sales, tuxedo rentals, or phone calls. Tuxedo rentals are a joke. It takes you off the sales floor for a good 2 1/2 hours and after that they still expect you to perform. They hire outside managers instead of promoting within the company and it's frustrating for current employees looking to advance. And making phone calls? That is so unrealistic! I know my store has to make 934 calls to make for a big sale. Really? And they STILL expect you to perform out on the floor. Working here you have to be a maid, a sales person, a bridal consultant, a makeshift manager at times, and a weight lifter. I know a lot of things come from the territory because it's retail and we all know the trade. But here, I really just feel that we're taken advantage of at a LOW pay wage. I don't believe the world owes me a living, but for the amount I make, an apology would be nice.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Hire the people you need for the season. Be realistic about sales goals. Get rid of the tux rentals!