There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

Weak training, low pay, hardly any motivation, high responsibility, constantly changing promotions!

Former Employee - Department Manager in Columbus, OH
Former Employee - Department Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

You can get up to 75% off of clothing (even though customers get up to 70%) and unbeatable deals on shoes(once a year).

Cons

The pay is lousy. You only get commission if you meet your draw per week. So I would have had to sell $6,500 worth of clothes per week before I even got a penny from commission. That means I would have to sell $10,000 worth of clothing a week to make like $100. Terrible.

If you are motivated and want to call people to buy suits on your own, then you might make some "OK" money, but the commission structure really killed my motivation.

Corporate visits where the big wigs fly in and inspect your store causes anxiety! Nothing ever happens as a result though--no one gets canned-- because they know how hard it is to find people to work for peanuts!

This company uses so much paper.

The Point of Sale system is junk, and 75% of the POS help desk have sad people skills, angry attitudes, and superior modes of thinking.

The tuxedo portion of the business is nothing but a big hassle.

I came in with a great attitude and worked for 6 months. I was never late, I took on lots of responsibility as a result of our staff being short-handed and having no manager; I bought the clothes and looked the part. Never once did it feel like it was worth it. I'm glad I had the experience because it gave me a chance to build a decent business wardrobe, learn about men's fashion and dress, which will help me for the rest of my life.

Like any bad experience, I learned to grow as a person, take on big responsibility without any reward, and grow as a salesman through trial and error because the only training was from 2 days of watching lousy videos.

I don't have any advice. You can't tell people who won't listen.

362 Other Employee Reviews for JoS. A. Bank (View Most Recent)

STAY A SALES ASSOCIATE!

Current Employee - Department Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

You learn a lot about quality fabrics, and fitting, and how to be a more sophisticated dresser. All of the (Associates) are a very close family. Selling can be fun sometimes and you meet some great customers that make you feel important. Loved getting paid every friday... for a college student the pay is great, but after I thought about it, I dont get paid enough for the amount of bull i have to put up with.

Cons

I became a manager and soon realized I took the spot of two former managers who hated their job as soon as they became a manager. Same things for me. For Department managers, or keyholders they treat you like you're unimportant, while expecting you to do all the dirty work for them. Assistant store managers always have a power trip, and the store manager tries to communicate with the Associates through the Assistant manager. It's a great place to work, but its not a good career job. Stay a Sales Associate, your life will be so much easier!

Store, Regional, and District managers need to stop promising people promotions, people get impatient, and when they ask for their promotion or raise they will degrade your "Performance"! Even if you're the top seller. They expect way to much from us while they sit on their ass and talk on the phone or "file paperwork".

8 Managers in 4 years

Current Employee - Senior Assistant Store Manager in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Assistant Store Manager in Hanover, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Nice Product
    Can work with cool customers
    Learn about tailoring and how clothes are supposed to fit
    Can stay busy enough with all the work you can do
    Can negotiate sales

Cons

Poor Upper management that doesn't micro manage very well.
    Constant unnecessary sales that with dilute the value of the product and traffic when you have customers come in and will come back for another sale
    Always talked down to
    I get paid 9.75 to manage, sell, fit clothes, do inventory, check stock, do tuxedos, do phone calls, do customer service, take conference calls when needed, clean the store and expect to make top sales
    The system is outdated and not easy to work with and will crash
    This is the Biggest one...We are located in an OUTLET MALL and this store is a REGULAR PRICED STORE. This is the reason I have worked with 8 different managers who ALL wanted to work in high volume stores. We have told them for years as well as ARUNDEL MILLS themselves to make us an outlet or get us out of the mall and yet the company is wondering why we are not performing as good as we should and I have worked with STELLAR salesmen who have left because they know there is no future at this location. The retention is unbelievable.
    Also my final complaint is the tuxedo's and code fives. The system with these items are unbelievably bad. For the tuxedo's I was sent something with holes in them. And code five's (which is another thing I get paid 9.75 for) will get sent from the busiest stores that also have to do a lot of things that I do times 2. Just send the stuff from the warehouse where we won't be nearly as busy WITH the stock that is necessary instead of sending it out to stores and then blame us for not selling enough items from our online services.

I don't know what I can say to change or even help this company because they have lost so much sight in what they once were. This location at Arundel Mills will get no credit for being high in the region but don't let us be under for the year despite everything we put into the store and what's already against us. 8 managers in 4 years and you think that you are still doing something right at this location?

There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank