There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

Weak training, low pay, hardly any motivation, high responsibility, constantly changing promotions!

Former Employee - Department Manager in Columbus, OH
Former Employee - Department Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

You can get up to 75% off of clothing (even though customers get up to 70%) and unbeatable deals on shoes(once a year).

Cons

The pay is lousy. You only get commission if you meet your draw per week. So I would have had to sell $6,500 worth of clothes per week before I even got a penny from commission. That means I would have to sell $10,000 worth of clothing a week to make like $100. Terrible.

If you are motivated and want to call people to buy suits on your own, then you might make some "OK" money, but the commission structure really killed my motivation.

Corporate visits where the big wigs fly in and inspect your store causes anxiety! Nothing ever happens as a result though--no one gets canned-- because they know how hard it is to find people to work for peanuts!

This company uses so much paper.

The Point of Sale system is junk, and 75% of the POS help desk have sad people skills, angry attitudes, and superior modes of thinking.

The tuxedo portion of the business is nothing but a big hassle.

Advice to Management

I came in with a great attitude and worked for 6 months. I was never late, I took on lots of responsibility as a result of our staff being short-handed and having no manager; I bought the clothes and looked the part. Never once did it feel like it was worth it. I'm glad I had the experience because it gave me a chance to build a decent business wardrobe, learn about men's fashion and dress, which will help me for the rest of my life.

Like any bad experience, I learned to grow as a person, take on big responsibility without any reward, and grow as a salesman through trial and error because the only training was from 2 days of watching lousy videos.

I don't have any advice. You can't tell people who won't listen.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

8 Managers in 4 years

Current Employee - Senior Assistant Store Manager in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Assistant Store Manager in Hanover, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Nice Product
    Can work with cool customers
    Learn about tailoring and how clothes are supposed to fit
    Can stay busy enough with all the work you can do
    Can negotiate sales

Cons

Poor Upper management that doesn't micro manage very well.
    Constant unnecessary sales that with dilute the value of the product and traffic when you have customers come in and will come back for another sale
    Always talked down to
    I get paid 9.75 to manage, sell, fit clothes, do inventory, check stock, do tuxedos, do phone calls, do customer service, take conference calls when needed, clean the store and expect to make top sales
    The system is outdated and not easy to work with and will crash
    This is the Biggest one...We are located in an OUTLET MALL and this store is a REGULAR PRICED STORE. This is the reason I have worked with 8 different managers who ALL wanted to work in high volume stores. We have told them for years as well as ARUNDEL MILLS themselves to make us an outlet or get us out of the mall and yet the company is wondering why we are not performing as good as we should and I have worked with STELLAR salesmen who have left because they know there is no future at this location. The retention is unbelievable.
    Also my final complaint is the tuxedo's and code fives. The system with these items are unbelievably bad. For the tuxedo's I was sent something with holes in them. And code five's (which is another thing I get paid 9.75 for) will get sent from the busiest stores that also have to do a lot of things that I do times 2. Just send the stuff from the warehouse where we won't be nearly as busy WITH the stock that is necessary instead of sending it out to stores and then blame us for not selling enough items from our online services.

Advice to Management

I don't know what I can say to change or even help this company because they have lost so much sight in what they once were. This location at Arundel Mills will get no credit for being high in the region but don't let us be under for the year despite everything we put into the store and what's already against us. 8 managers in 4 years and you think that you are still doing something right at this location?

2. Good place to work

Former Employee - Tailor in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Tailor in East Lansing, MI

I worked at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Pay is not bad, nice environment.

Cons

like in everywere in retail working weekends

Advice to Management

Keep up good work