There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

Weak training, low pay, hardly any motivation, high responsibility, constantly changing promotions!

Former Employee - Department Manager in Columbus, OH
Former Employee - Department Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

You can get up to 75% off of clothing (even though customers get up to 70%) and unbeatable deals on shoes(once a year).

Cons

The pay is lousy. You only get commission if you meet your draw per week. So I would have had to sell $6,500 worth of clothes per week before I even got a penny from commission. That means I would have to sell $10,000 worth of clothing a week to make like $100. Terrible.

If you are motivated and want to call people to buy suits on your own, then you might make some "OK" money, but the commission structure really killed my motivation.

Corporate visits where the big wigs fly in and inspect your store causes anxiety! Nothing ever happens as a result though--no one gets canned-- because they know how hard it is to find people to work for peanuts!

This company uses so much paper.

The Point of Sale system is junk, and 75% of the POS help desk have sad people skills, angry attitudes, and superior modes of thinking.

The tuxedo portion of the business is nothing but a big hassle.

I came in with a great attitude and worked for 6 months. I was never late, I took on lots of responsibility as a result of our staff being short-handed and having no manager; I bought the clothes and looked the part. Never once did it feel like it was worth it. I'm glad I had the experience because it gave me a chance to build a decent business wardrobe, learn about men's fashion and dress, which will help me for the rest of my life.

Like any bad experience, I learned to grow as a person, take on big responsibility without any reward, and grow as a salesman through trial and error because the only training was from 2 days of watching lousy videos.

I don't have any advice. You can't tell people who won't listen.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good place to work

Former Employee - Tailor in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Tailor in East Lansing, MI

I worked at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

Pay is not bad, nice environment.

Cons

like in everywere in retail working weekends

Keep up good work

If I didn't need the benefits, I wouldn't be a current...

Current Employee - Department Manager in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank

Pros

-The other Department Managers and the Sales Executives are great to work with.
    -The chance to, 2x a year or so, not need to pretend to be a customer to get a good sale price... ie: 75% off.
    -Customers can easily make the day go great, when they're in the mood to!
    -The time away (and it will be considerable, with what they will ask for) from my home and family makes the heart grow fonder?
    The chance to put "Department Manager" on my resume?

Cons

-The fact that we, as managers, need to either have a second (or a better "primary") job or be independently wealthy to survive with the pay structure.
    -Daily motivational faxes that are constructed entirely of thinly veiled threats and "team first" cliches that boil down to: Sell or else!
    -The need to watch out for items "returned" on your days off and resold under another employee's number.
    -The corporate office's stubborn unwillingness to allow us to deny a customer return even if the item is clearly old, worn from repeated wearing, filthy, damaged from misuse or lack of care, or even without proof of any kind of purchase. Then getting calls, emails, and faxes about how we have to try and turn returns into exchanges because our return numbers are too high!
    -Items bought online or at a store miles away, when returned WILL count against your store's sales numbers! There are few things worse than the second customer on a Sunday returning a BOG2 (the famous and ever present buy one suit, get 2 free) Signature sale and starting you in an $800 hole by 11:30.
    -It's been detailed before, but the mandate for "No Customer Complaints" would be a great idea if it were more reasonable. If a customer comes in and wants an $800 suit then gets upset because we won't give it away free with a Cuisinart thrown in for good measure and calls/writes corporate, any employees named (and it doesn't even matter if they were named as being involved, just that your name is in the complaint) are referred to a review board.

-Make sure there is clear, concise leadership from the top down.
    -Explain the likelihood (or lack thereof) of the new hires being able to make commission at that location.
    -An incentive to do better, and something other than "Sell or Else".
    -An ability to explore the options concerning returns (which believe it or not are a huge problem) instead of just having to take it.
    -In lieu of the last issue, stop counting returns from catalog (that customers ordered from their home computer) and other stores against the store unfortunate enough to have to do the return.

There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank