JoS. A. Bank

There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

Not bad

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Higher ups get benefits and decent compensation
- The better you are, the more money you make

Cons

- Low base pay
- Poor discounts
- Many menial task requirements

Bump up base wage and give better employee discounts for new hires.

378 Other Employee Reviews for JoS. A. Bank (View Most Recent)

Don't work for Jos. A. Bank.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I’m going to be completely honest; the biggest Pro about working at Jos. A. Bank would be your co-workers. I have met some of the most wonderful people while working at Jos. A. Bank. Some I still keep in touch with today. The flexibility for part-time employees, getting paid weekly and networking with other professionals (who may be able to help you find a better job) are the other pros.

Cons

Jos. A. Bank has a lack of leadership that systemic throughout the company. Upper management (Corporate, VP’s, DM’s and RM’s) don’t communicate well to store employees unless it’s to threaten you, which is usually faxed. Store managers, are continually threatened with their jobs if any number of metrics cannot be met ei sales, travelers crease percentage, tailor shop revenue, corporate account issuance and customer complaints. The company is geared to make the shareholders the most money it can at the cost of the workers. The pay system is a draw/commission structure for everyone in the store with exception of the manager. In order for an employee to make commission they must first coverer the draw which is around 6,000 dollars a week for full time workers. Some stores will only make 20,000 a week which means it’s almost impossible for workers to make more the base salary, which is usually about eight dollars an hour. Department managers or “third keys” only make about nine dollars an hour and assistant managers are around ten. To add insult to injury every quarter the commission rate drops back down to 5.5 percent. That means if you are in a store that only does 1.3 million dollars it would almost be impossible to make your sales goals for the year and not have your commission rate dropped. I feel like the compensation at Jos. A. Bank is border line abusive. Now let’s talk about the never ending sales. Jos. A. Bank always is having a sale. Most of the Signature suits that retail for $895 or $995 are made in Mexico for around $130. Go ahead, check the label... That’s the only way they can offer a buy one get two free. Customers can’t keep up with the sales and neither can the employees. The worst part for me was the way that Jos. A. Bank treats their employees. You will get a fax saying that the rest of the week they are open early and close late. They don’t tell the customers and the employees are not selling suits at 10 pm. Then if a customer complaints you have to do whatever the customer wants no matter how ridiculous it may seem. I’ve seen customers return suits because they wear out after two years and Jos. A. Bank will do it because of their “Platinum Customer Service”. Everyone is taught to be terrified of a customer complaint.

My advice to management is to revise the pay system. You cannot possibly hope to retain talent at such low pay. Embrace the 1990’s and add e-mail to the stores instead of faxing everything twice and wasting paper and time. Treat people with respect. Don’t threaten and punish employees when a customer is unhappy or the sales goals aren’t reached. Customers and employees are both people and shouldn’t be manipulated to achieve maximum profit. Stop with the ridiculous hours. No one is banging on the doors to buy a suit at 6 a.m.

Unrealistic expectations and empty promises

Current Employee - Keyholder in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Keyholder in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time

Pros

The best part about working at Jos. A. Bank is meeting high-end clientele. Usually businessmen, attorneys, politicians, etc. and their wives/fiances, children, etc. The customers seem pretty loyal to the brand. Even customers who have had bad experiences in the past are likely to return and give us another shot.

Cons

Commission is paid on a weekly bases, but only after selling $6600+ in merchandise do you see a singles cent from your efforts. Top that with all of the crazy sales they do - like Buy 1 Suit Get 2 Free, Plus 2 shirts and 2 ties FREE and you'll start to see why it is so incredibly difficult to reach any commission. AND you have to compete with your fellow workers for the business that walks in through the door. The demand for suits and sportswear is spread even thinner by the fact that there are now six stores in Indianapolis - a city of 1 million people, only a minimal fraction of which have to wear suits every day of the week. The base hourly rate is the lowest hourly pay in the entire industry. My significant other works at another retail establishment doing practically the same job and earns 30% more - per hour - than I do. On my days off from JAB I therefore work other PT jobs just to make ends meet. I haven't seen a real tangible day off from work in months.

Upper management makes STRAIGHT commission on everything the associates, assistant managers, and keyholders sell, plus an ANNUAL SALARY. My advice would be to let your TEAM share in the bonus rather than hording it all for your greedy selves. Where are your ethics?

There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank