There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

A little bit of extra spending money

Current Employee - Stock Person in Carlsbad, CA
Current Employee - Stock Person in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people and good atmosphere. Never a really boring day, even if nobody came into the store

Cons

Having to pretend to work when there was literally nothing left to do. After straitening every display twice, scanning ever sock to see if it was on sale, and then finally cleaning the mirrors which is usually done by an outside contractor, not a single person had come in and the manager was annoyed that everybody was just standing around.

reviews filtered by

Underpaid, over worked, very low staff moral, ridiculous holiday hours. KEEP AWAY!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In general the customers were easy to work with, some staff members and upper Management as well. They seem to promote from within , the two different regional sales managers I worked under emphasized this point.

Cons

The pay is equivalent to that of Mcdonalds. Even for myself as an Assistant Manager, I was paid slightly more in commission. My base pay was 8 dollars an hr. One major issue is the lack of being able to discipline the staff members. At my particular location we have a few people that have worked there for many years. These individuals talk back to management when delagated tasks, on a regular basis. When these instances are brought up to upper Management, i was told it was my fault for they way I worded things ..though I was polite and professional in every case. There is a HUGE issue going on in this company. In my 20+ years of retail I have never experienced staff members speaking to management in such a manner, and continuing to work their jobs like nothing happened. Asides from these issues, there is of course a matter of the low pay, and the ridiculous holiday hours. 7.25 an hour for staff and a bit more for Assistant Managers, plus a "draw vs commission" pay. Essentially you can work your *** off and sell , and still walk away with only an extra 50-100 dollars on your pay check at the end of the week. Staff morale is incredibly low all around. With the exception of people that have worked there for 15 years or more, everyone else is in the process of seeking other employment. Many discussions on a daily basis of which interview someone just came back from, and how they can not wait to leave the company. This includes other Managers.
    ""

Advice to Management

Place Assistant Managers and Keyholder's on a salary , or pay raise. Otherwise your company will continue to suffer the high turn over, and poor employee reviews. This will effect your bottom line of sales in the long run. Allow your lower-middle Management team to take disciplinary action on staff members as they see fit. They are in their roles because you placed them there, trust them to do their jobs.

Failure to Discloure

Former Employee - Department Manager in Gadsden, AL
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Gadsden, AL

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxing environment, superb suits offered

Cons

company structure on commissions is out of date and pathetic, so many mundane tasks that are not necessary to the company, senior management lives in the dark ages dealing employees and customers

Advice to Management

Lighten up dealing with people,do not allow personal feelings to persuade your decision making process, be honest with employees at hiring/interview not disclose misinformation