There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

A great starting point in the communications field.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hampstead, MD
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hampstead, MD

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, some not so great (but they make themselves obvious). Training is not a one-week crash course, everyday you are learning something new about the job. ALL co-workers in the office are very willing to help with your problems.

Cons

Pay was ridiculously low, this company rakes in millions and millions every year. The only group of people that make any real money at this company are those on the corporate end. If you work in the sales department, be ready to be used in the customer service department A LOT(which pays more) with no pay compensation. I'm not even sure if that practice is legal.

Advice to Management

If an associate has a question and needs help with what they are doing, keep the attitude to yourself. You get paid to help your associates. As for the CEO, you would see a lot more progression within your company if you weren't always giving yourself a $2mil+ bonus each year. These people work very hard for you, remember that.

reviews filtered by

Be carefull to start working in this Company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Albany, NY

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great brand name, fantastic products, great customers, friendly environment within the store, great business opportunities.

Cons

Ongoing fear of unjust termination from Regional and Corporate executives due to double standards and disadvantages from poor and unclear policies. Hard work is never repayed, no matter how hard your employees and you work, you are always in the wrong. Zero recognition from top executives for the any accomplishments but immediate harsh punishment for any small and unintentinal mistake. Comission compensations are impossible to attain. Fear to expess opinion and suggestions for the improvement business due to retaliation from regional director. Massive termination of employees on the store level. There is zero motivation, constant unrealistic goals and demands from top executive. They don't care about employees in the store, they only work and care just for themself. For this reason there is a huge gap between associates who make money for the Company in the store and regional/corporate executives who aren't concerned with the actual situation of the store and the people. Employees and authority are on two different tunes.

Advice to Management

If executive managers want to stop this ongoing anonymous negative feedback from former and current employees they need to get on the level of their employees. Do not act as a punishers, act as team partners. Know what is really going on in the stores, let people express their feeback anonymously and deliver to the President of the company. Stop keeping people in fear. Let people express their opinions on behaf of the company. Listen not just to yourselves, but respect people's ideas and suggestions.. If you change those components you will make the employees happy and happy employees will satisfy the customers better. Any changes must start from the top.

Ridiculous pay rate

Current Employee - Tailor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Tailor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You'll have some benefit when you work here, like they'd pay $10000 if you die at work :))

Cons

Their pay rate is ridiculously low. Any other big companies raise their employees wage $1/year. We don't even have anything for a few years. Long time ago, they raised each of their employes a few cents for each year. In the end of 2012, they sent us letters say we haven't reach our goal yet, so no raise. Funny is, few days later, they put a breaking news on the board announce the grand opening of the 600th store in New York. It doesn't make any sense to me. We work so hard, year round. They ask us to work on the holidays, even Christmas, Thanksgiving,... And we cannot say No. We work like slaves.

Advice to Management

Instead of flying around everyday in your private jet, buy an air plane ticket, so you could save a few dollars and give it to your hardworking employees, they deserve that.