There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

Not the worst... Far from the best. The organization needs work. Lack of training.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Mars, PA
Current Employee - Manager in Mars, PA

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ok wage for managers... Decent amount of freedom if you make your numbers.

Cons

Poor pay for associates makes hiring and maintaining talent very hard.

Keep promises to associates regarding bonuses... need better DMs and RSDs. Pay associates a bit more and make more incentives to keep morale higher.

353 Other Employee Reviews for JoS. A. Bank (View Most Recent)

Does not care about employees or customers

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a job and you're not doing hard labor

Cons

The company runs excessive promotions that devalues their products. Customers always come in looking for a deal and refuse to buy anything full priced. How do you expect your employees to sell products that we (and the customers) believe are a rip off? And the pay is absolutely ridiculous.. I was led to believe I would get 5% commission on top of the minimum wage.

Restructure the pay and fire your marketing department

Stay away unless you're desperate

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Tupelo, MS
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tupelo, MS

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

You could make the argument that it's better than being unemployed.

Cons

There's obviously a theme among most of these reviews. I'll echo what most have said:
    1-The pay is just pathetic. I was mislead to believe that I would receive an hourly wage plus commission on everything I sold, only to find out once I got my first check that JAB operates on a "draw" system. Working at a rural store made it literally impossible to meet the draw and make any commission outside of the holiday season. To add insult to injury, during the holidays I usually worked 60-70 hours a week which meant that I had a higher draw in order to make any commission. Employees are given arbitrary, unrealistic sales goals by management in an attempt to intimidate the employee in the hope that they will go above and beyond to sell merchandise. Once you don't meet the sales goals a few times you are reprimanded. In my case I was demoted from Assistant Store Manager to Sales Associate. On top of that they cut me to a part time schedule, virtually forcing me to get another job. By the time I was finally able to leave JAB I was making $7.50 per hour. Seriously.
    2.-I could write a novel on how absurd the markup and "promotions" are. Nothing new to add there. Employees are expected to keep up with the "sales" that change constantly.
    3.- Employees are required to input customers' contact info into the database any time someone makes their first purchase at JAB. That info will later on be used to solicit the customer about "sales". Our regional manager actually required that we take a list of customers from the database and call them while they were at work or at home and solicit them to come to our store and shop. Needless to say this infuriated most customers.
    4. Employees are expected to meet their absurd sales "goals" while having a laundry list of non-selling activities to keep up with. There were usually multiple huge boxes of inventory arriving to the store daily which we had to unpack, scan into inventory, put on the shelf, etc. We also had to pack up old merchandise to send elsewhere. We had to decipher a phone-book sized visual display guide and prepare merchandise to be placed on mannequins around the store. All of this, yet management wonders why you are not constantly selling merchandise.
    5. The company all but encourages conflict between employees and customers. If someone is dumb enough to buy something at the obscence prices, they are then required to pay to have their clothing tailored. Employees are required to milk as much money out of the customer for tailoring as they can. I saw cases where customers were charged over $100 to have a cheap suit tailored. THEN, the customer is expected to wait a minimum of 2 weeks to have their clothes tailored before having to come back to the store and pick it up. Many times we had to spend hours boxing up clothes to send hundreds of miles away to have it tailored. This usually resulted in customers having to wait over 3 weeks to receive their clothing, due to the time necessary to ship to and from the tailoring service.
    Needless to say, customers were constantly infuriated by the wait required to receive their clothing, especially after paying for tailoring. In many cases they didn't fit correctly after being tailored.
    All of this essentially encourages customer conflict, yet if a customer files a complaint, the store level employees are blames and in most cases fired without question.

You need to seriously reevaluate your entire business model. I see that stock is plummeting now because customers have caught on to the obscene markup levels and they know that the daily "promotions" are a sham. Why would a customer pay $400 plus tailoring, AND wait 2 weeks to have a suit tailored when they can go to any other low-level retailer and get the same quality merchandise for a-third of the price, take it elsewhere and have it tailored in a day at a fraction of the tailoring cost? Also in regards to employees, you pay for what you get. You won't retain any talented employees when you pay them less than they could make flipping burgers at McDonalds. Not that you care, I'm just pointing that out.

There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

Worked for JoS. A. Bank? Contribute to the Community!