What an amazing ride!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Gadsden, AL
Current Employee - Store Manager in Gadsden, AL

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Quick promotions when you make yourself stand out. I was hired as an asst mgr and was transferred and promoted to another store in about a month. Eight months after that, I got my original store back. From there I've been chosen to travel all over the region as a trouble shooter. I've been doing retail all my life, but have learned more in the last 2 years than in all that time! I've not only learned how to better my management skills, but have also become quite adept at teaching others how to succeed as well.

Cons

Work/life balance could be better.

Re-evaluate the pay structure for hourly employees. Quality people cost a little more.

Other Reviews for JoS. A. Bank

Disappointing

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  North Western, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in North Western, NY

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Like most people who review this company, I got to work with some amazing people on the store level, assistant manager and below.

Cons

Too many to list, honestly. Most stores start out paying people minimum wage or close to it, and while they may tell you that you will earn commission the reality is that with the draw system the company uses, most sales people will only earn a paycheck over their hourly wage once in a blue moon. The pay structure is at the core of a ton of other problems such as turnover or stores asking staff to work crazy hours because they are understaffed as a result of not being able to hire the right people.

Aside from the pay, I've never met anyone from this company above store manager level that I have even the smallest amount of respect for. From a leadership standpoint the upper management of this company are collectively the most demotivating people I have ever encountered. I worked for an RSD (regional) who must have been bi-polar, you never knew what you would get when she came to the store and I found frequently her mood had more to do with the store she was coming from than the condition or performance of my store. There were frequent conversations that went way past unprofessional in terms of describing the goings on of other stores and personal problems of other managers. This person should never have been put in a management position and if she hasn't been sued yet then its coming shortly.

To anyone thinking of working here, if you are planning on a job for a short period of time to help pay the bills, maybe a summer home from college, than sure you might meet some interesting people and have some fun working depending on the staff at your local store, just don't expect to make more than the hourly wage they offer.

If you are thinking of making a career out of this, walk away now. seriously this is a company that does not care about its employees at all and you will be able to tell very quickly after you assume any type of management role here. Each passing day you will be asked to do more and more, sacrifice more of your time and energy and work harder than you did the previous day. In return you should not expect a raise in pay or even a thank you for the hard work, just a reminder that it was not and will never be enough.

sell to MWH while its still worth something. return to a base+ commission pay structure instead of the draw, let employees in smaller stores earn a living for a change. Cap store managers hours, don't expect that people will work 80-90 hrs without getting anything extra for it. There are retail stores out there that pay salaried employees overtime over 50 hrs, just a thought.

Don't even work a day for this outfit

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Lafayette, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Lafayette, CA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

80% off clothing with the right sale free alts

Cons

Mid to upper management have different values than the rest of the business world

Explain how to fire some twice and cover up other management wrong doings...I caught the manager stealing and nothing was done. I just hope you get caught in California as you got caught from the state of New York. It doesn't matter to you guys just pay the multi-million dollar fines and go on.

There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank.

Worked for JoS. A. Bank? Contribute to the Community!