Good

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Hours and Pay, transition well into commission pay

Cons

Open on Sunday commissions terrible on some weeks

Advice to Management

keep on

reviews filtered by

Great company to work for until they decided the stock holders were more important than the employees.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice stores to work in, some of the people you work with and some of the customers are great.

Cons

It seems if you're dishonest, unethical or immune to Gestapo tactics you will succeed with this company. If you aren't, then be prepared to have your spirit squashed or become someone you don't like or recognize. The pay for management is ok if you don't average it out by hours worked, just don't expect to get a yearly bonus because they have that all figured in their favor.

Advice to Management

You need to get back to basics and start treating your people with the respect they deserve and the rewards that should accompany their hard work. You ruined the company with your never ending sales yet expect your employees to meet your already unrealistic goals. Belittling and threatening people does not garner loyalty or the strong results you are looking for.

A Frustrating Three Years

Former Employee - Sales "Executive" in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales "Executive" in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I made several great friends. The store manager would let us have most of his sales in an attempt to keep us happy.

Cons

It is mathematically impossible to make a living wage in a small market store. The obsolescent draw system used by the company requires a permanent employee to sell in the neighborhood of $6,000 before commission is activated. I made 17 cents above my hourly pay (that NEVER was raised in three years) in one very active sales week. My largest "bonus" cleared $50 for over $300,000 in sales. There is no incentive to sell late in a slow week. I still worked hard in that situation because that's all I know, but I am certain that my work ethic was affected subconsciously.

Customers are permitted to be unreasonable, and any resistance to them results in disciplinary action up to and sometimes including termination.

Advice to Management

Quit being condescending dictators and adopt a more considerate attitude toward employees. The long term result will be a more experienced, long-term workforce. A pay scale of minimum wage per hour plus 1-2% of all sales for each employee might cost the company more initially, but would elevate morale and incentive.