JoS. A. Bank

There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

Great Time Great People

Former Employee - Department Manager in Waltham, MA
Former Employee - Department Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very Accommodating manager, tries to be helpful to everyone. As long as you know what you're doing and don't slack off it's a great environment

Cons

Did not experience any cons. Maybe the leaving early policy but that is not too big of a deal

think about snow storm policy, that's all great time otherwise

375 Other Employee Reviews for JoS. A. Bank (View Most Recent)

Stressful

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some supervisors are flexible with time off when needed.

Cons

A very high stress environment and being underpaid does not help.

Working for this company is a joke. A bad, unfunny, and depressing joke

Former Employee - Department Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only pros for this job would be *some* of the people I worked with and *some of the customers* - Very select few - the majority of fellow employees and customers only make things worse.

Cons

I don't want to be here all day, but I do want to give anyone looking into employment here an honest opinion of what daily life is working here.

SELLING/COMMISSION
    Unless you *really* care about selling you will likely NEVER make commission, depending on the store you work. Some stores are high-volume, and some are not. IF you work in high volume store, there are probably 2-3 other associates who will shark everyone and soak up most the sales. They won't have time for any of the other work they are supposed to do and you will get to do it, an effective double-whammy - If you aren't one of the top salesmen in your store, you'll be stuck doing the menial work AND you won't make commission. If you are in a low volume store realistically only 1 person has the chance to draw commission weekly. The commission structure is also a joke.

MANAGEMENT
    I was a manager, but my title didn't really mean much. They have such high turnover, like a fast-food place, that you're basically running a daycare. Basically it seems the corporate paradigm is "Give them X amount of tasks and expect them to perform X times 2" - The classic 1 step ahead, 2 steps behind treatment. The store managers are all middle aged and older and from what I saw, the lack of work-life balance causes them all to be terribly unhappy, stressed, and fearful of losing their jobs.

PAY
    The pay is the biggest joke of all. You'll be paid barely above minimum wage and they'll squeeze every penny they can out of you. If you need an actual income you should look elsewhere. IF you're retied or independently wealthy and are just bored and need something to do, this might be a great job for you. If not, you'll hate yourself for ever giving this company a single second of your time.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE
    There is none. Again, the store managers I met on my horrible, horrible time with this company had their physical/mental health seriously affected by the outrageous standards imposed by this company. I was a manager and as such, the phrase "Day off" means "day not at work still dealing with work".

CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
    Relatively none unless you like sucking up to people and having your personal integrity and self respect degraded on a daily basis. I'm not even a smart person and I made manager in 5 months, but that's as far as I'd go. They would have to pay me 70k to do what a store manager does - it's THAT stressful being a store manager. Even my store managers boss would complain about the possibility of their marriage and family falling apart because of how much/hard this company worked them. It's not a career, it's a job, and a bad one.

CORPORATE/SENIOR MANAGEMENT
    I never met anyone higher than my store managers boss, (read section above) but after less than a year it became more than apparent that this company just doesn't care about you - you are not a human being - you are a tool for the company to make money, and unless you suck up enough, jump through enough ridiculous hoops to show how dedicated you are, you won't make it far. Even if you make it that far, you will have sacrificed your dignity, integrity and humanity to get there. You're a number here, not a person. Get back to work.

CULTURE AND VALUES
    Pretty much a reiteration of what I just described. Working here you are a tool, you have barely more than minimum wage (slave wage) value. I take nothing good from my experience here. All the good that I got from some of the people is heavily outweighed by the bad. To the point I take it personally and I will go at great lengths to expose people to how bad working for this company is.

Please, Please, take you and the rest of the bigwigs in corporate as well as your families and run into oncoming traffic. For the sake of humanity. Also, try taking some cyanide before hand, just to be sure.

There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank