There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

Great company to work for until they decided the stock holders were more important than the employees.

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice stores to work in, some of the people you work with and some of the customers are great.

Cons

It seems if you're dishonest, unethical or immune to Gestapo tactics you will succeed with this company. If you aren't, then be prepared to have your spirit squashed or become someone you don't like or recognize. The pay for management is ok if you don't average it out by hours worked, just don't expect to get a yearly bonus because they have that all figured in their favor.

Advice to Management

You need to get back to basics and start treating your people with the respect they deserve and the rewards that should accompany their hard work. You ruined the company with your never ending sales yet expect your employees to meet your already unrealistic goals. Belittling and threatening people does not garner loyalty or the strong results you are looking for.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

JAB is now on the "Top 10 Worst Companies" list from Wall St Journal

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is some quality people who work at the store level. Decent discounts for merchandise, flexible schedules - most of the time.

Men's Warehouse recently acquired JAB, maybe somebody can fix this mess?!

Cons

The pay structure is insulting. No raises have even given in almost 4 years. It's galling when you consider what the previous CEO was making every year. RSD's can be bullies and use foul language whenever the mood strikes. Daily memos from RSDS are condescending at best.

Advice to Management

There is a reason why the jig is up and this company is now # 4 on the "Top 10 Worst Companies To Work For" - IT IS!

Stop caring about how full your wallet is and stop with the constant greed. We are people who work for you,; we are not numbers or livestock.

A Frustrating Three Years

Former Employee - Sales "Executive" in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales "Executive" in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I made several great friends. The store manager would let us have most of his sales in an attempt to keep us happy.

Cons

It is mathematically impossible to make a living wage in a small market store. The obsolescent draw system used by the company requires a permanent employee to sell in the neighborhood of $6,000 before commission is activated. I made 17 cents above my hourly pay (that NEVER was raised in three years) in one very active sales week. My largest "bonus" cleared $50 for over $300,000 in sales. There is no incentive to sell late in a slow week. I still worked hard in that situation because that's all I know, but I am certain that my work ethic was affected subconsciously.

Customers are permitted to be unreasonable, and any resistance to them results in disciplinary action up to and sometimes including termination.

Advice to Management

Quit being condescending dictators and adopt a more considerate attitude toward employees. The long term result will be a more experienced, long-term workforce. A pay scale of minimum wage per hour plus 1-2% of all sales for each employee might cost the company more initially, but would elevate morale and incentive.